Can I change my last name to my wife’s last name if I live in New Mexico?

I am a man who got married. I am 22. I want to change my last name to my wife’s last name so I can be part of her family more, to honor her, she doesn’t want to change hers, and I don’t really like my last name. I don’t know how hard it is. I live in New Mexico by the way, so the government will work a certain way.... show more I am a man who got married. I am 22. I want to change my last name to my wife’s last name so I can be part of her family more, to honor her, she doesn’t want to change hers, and I don’t really like my last name. I don’t know how hard it is. I live in New Mexico by the way, so the government will work a certain way. Can someone tell me how the laws of this works? Should we move to a state that does accept this and then change it there? I also told my sister and friends about this, and they just laughed and said that was a stupid idea.