Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 6 months ago

Can I change my last name to my wife’s last name if I live in New Mexico?

I am a man who got married. I am 22. I want to change my last name to my wife’s last name so I can be part of her family more, to honor her, she doesn’t want to change hers, and I don’t really like my last name. I don’t know how hard it is. I live in New Mexico by the way, so the government will work a certain way. Can someone tell me how the laws of this works? Should we move to a state that does accept this and then change it there? I also told my sister and friends about this, and they just laughed and said that was a stupid idea.

You can change your name in any county in the country for any reason other than fraud. Do know though that this will be your legal name henceforth whether the marriage lasts or not. A name change is usually just filing some paperwork and paying a fee.

• g

You can change your name to anything you wish. Check with your clerk of voury, they may even have firms available online to start the process.

You are a man. Why would you do that

You can change your name in ANY State as long as you are a legal adult, the change isn't made to deceive anyone and the Court approves.

• i + i

Under certain circumstances even name
      changes to deceive someone are legal --
      ever heard of witness protection?