Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 5 months ago

Is my friend dumb, she carries a 20 lb dumbbell in her backpack and goes for 2 mile walks daily?

Like why carry that much weight for no reason?

Walking with a weight uses more energy, and builds more muscle, than walking without the weight, or not moving at all.

• Benny

You're asking people who have never met her about her intelligence level? Lol.

It certainly isn’t healthy for her back so she should just walk with weights on places. You should tell her that. Though she’s not dumb for wanting to be in shape.

• k w

haven't you ever heard of arm weights or leg weights ?

• k w

add strength/stamina

• Murzy

It helps burn some additional calories.

That is like saying people who to 1 rep max do it for no reason. I do dumbbell curl 35 lb 1 rep for a reason. I do bench press 115 lbs 1 rep for a reason.

Here are the reasons.

1. To build endurance and strength.

2. Prove your potential and keep growing.

Try it!

I did that to build up my back preparing for a two week backcountry trip. With the tent, sleeping bag, clothes, water, and food, my pack weighed 60lbs at the start of the trip; so it was helpful to work up to to that. Tell her to use a 25lb sandbag instead, it’s softer, so it doesn’t dig into her back.

Is she trying to lose weight?

There IS a reason

Bet she's in far better shape than you are.