What is the main purpose of Access?

What is the main purpose of Access? Is it software like Outlook? Can I learn it by buying it?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Best answer

Access is a database program. Think of the Telephone book. With Columns of Data, Name, Address, Telephone numbers. Or a Car Parts Store Inventory. Part Name, Part Number, Price, Number on hand.

The database program can set up reports and inventory.

Outlook is an email program.

• Roddy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Access is a database program, but is not always logical in the way you use it.

A far easier to use database program is FileMaker (from an Apple subsidiary, but having a PC version too). The good thing is that the files it produces are able to be read and worked on also in Filemaker for Mac. Access files are PC Windows ONLY.

• 5 months ago

To create databases that you can Access. I don't particularly like Access. You can download Libre Office for free and I believe it has MS equivalent to Access to try out for free. You can also watch Youtube videos on both to see what they are about and how to use them.

• Lv 7
    5 months ago

Access is database software, used to store and...ACCESS the data stored.

it would be a good idea to learn database fundamentals, to understand what a database is and how it does what it does. there are plenty of YouTube videos that can help.

there are also many YT vids for learning Access...of varying quality.

at the end of the day, Access is not something you can "just pick up". you have to learn about databases and then learn Access.

personally, for databases, i prefer MySQL, which is free and used by tons of pro sites, but lacks a user interface, unlike Access. you can install WAMP (if you're using Windows) to get a full local setup with MySQL, Apache server, and PHP, and start programming on your own PC for free!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

It is database software. You make a database of items, then you can query and sort different ways....like the number of black cars a honda dealer has on the lot.

Outlook is email, contacts, and calendar software. It is not like Access at all.

There are many video tutorials on youtube, and plenty of websites explaining it. It is pretty difficult.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.