Cody asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 months ago

What are the best martial arts to learn for self defense?

I am taking taekwondo, and I’d love to know what other types are most beneficial for self defense techniques.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

look man ive been fighting since i was 16 ...iv noticed a lot of know it alls walk in the gym and think they now some **** only to realize they dont know how to react when they get punched in the face its funny ****...because of that they crumble up and forget everything they know.....look long story short stick with some boxing and jiu jitsu and youll be a killer!!

• 6 months ago

Hapkido and Judo tend to be the best, not for their grappling and ground fighting, but for their breakfall and tumbling aspects. The times you will need to react instinctively to a sudden fall (ice, ladders, roofs, bikes, etc.) will far outnumber the times you will have to fight your way out of one.

Judo has in this regard saved my neck many more times outside of actual combat than within it.

• Bon
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

It is not the type of martial arts that determines whether or not you are effective in self-defense. It is the quality of the training which mean the qualification of the instructor. A good martial art for self-defense is the one taught by a good instructor who knows self-defense.

• 6 months ago

It depends on the schools you're around. Really that's all that matters. Most martial arts are somewhat the same just with their own nuances. For example jiu jitsu is great for grappling but wrestling also teaches l grappling.

Here's my two cents if you are going to train in a martial art do jiu jitsu because It's the most complete system

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

savate if you got long arms and limbs

• Steel
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

In my experience, HOW one trains is more important than in WHAT one trains. I've seen so-called krav maga schools that are awful, and I've seen so-called "run of the mill" Taekwondo schools that are fantastic, and vice-versa, and everything in between.

The way I think of it, a world-class chef can follow any recipe and make a meal fit for a king, whereas a complete novice might serve something up that's not fit for a dog following the same recipe.

Now, some "recipes" are more practical than others, but you'd have to go to a school and witness how techniques are employed to ascertain what is best FOR YOU, as what is best for one person may not be best for another.

• Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

good answer

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Most TKD schools have Hapkido.

Hapkido is very effective for self defense. As a plus you do not have to relearn anything. They use same language, same strikes and kicks. It is used by many bodyguard personnel thruout the world over. It has been proven in the heat o the moment. It even has defense against weapons as well, such as knife and club and even modified for guns. There really are no forms to learn.

Ask you TKD instructor if they teach Hapkido or if they know of a school that does.

• 6 months ago

The ones where you pluck out your adversary's eye like in Kill Bill seem pretty effective.

• Matt
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I've heard Krav Maga and Jui Jitsu are pretty good.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

For actual self defence it’s hard to beat Krav Maga.

But like any form of self defence it can get you into more trouble than it gets you out of.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.