Bible + sword and martial arts?

Im conflicted on versus when it comes to use of the sword. 1. People will constantly quote those who take up the sword (or live by the sword) die by the sword (or in the modern sense it would be a gun 2. but prior to this Jesus told his desciples to take his purse, sell his cloak and buy a sword (likely for... show more Im conflicted on versus when it comes to use of the sword.

1. People will constantly quote those who take up the sword (or live by the sword) die by the sword (or in the modern sense it would be a gun

2. but prior to this Jesus told his desciples to take his purse, sell his cloak and buy a sword (likely for defense yes?)

Im a little conflicted here as some of my church elders have told me that I shouldnt concern my self with self defense or defending loved ones with my hands or a stick (dont want to kill anyone, but will knock a man down to perseve life) because if I am a good follower of Christ, there will be no need. They also think the martial arts are demonic ( I practace savate, a kickboxing technique originally from france)

but at the same time, many of these elders are card holding NRA members who not only own handguns, but own assault rifles too. Im mega confused here.