When do you factor out a negative?

When factoring trinomials, when do you actually factor out a negative, is it if 2/3 of the numbers are negative, or...

Just kinda confused, exams are in a couple days so responses are really appreciated. Thanks!

• Elaine

If the term with an exponent 2 or more is negative factor out -1 as the expression becomes much easier to factor.

When u feel like math

Source(s): Disney jr

Well, personally I like to when the leading coefficient is positive. You can get the same answer if you don't do that though. It's preference

When it simplifies the process...

Usually, it is easier to see the factoring of, say, (x^2 + x - 6) than it is to see the factoring of 6 -x -x^2 but the roots are the same

look at the quadratic formula for both:

x^2 + x - 6 ==> x = (-1 +/- sqrt(1 -4*1*(-6)))/2 = (-1 +/- 5)/2 = -3 or 2

so (x+3)(x-2)

-x^2 -x + 6 ==> x = (1 +/- sqrt( 1 -4*(-1)*6))/(-2) = (1 +/- 5)/(-2) = -3 or 2

so (2-x)(3+x) ==> -(x+3)(x-2)

Which is easier to work out?

Of course, the graphs of the two are different -- one convex upwards, the other convex downwards, but the roots or factors are the same.

My rule of thumb is if the leading coefficient is negative, I factor it out, then attempt to factor what's left.

negative and positive.

• When I'm factoring, I like for the leading coefficient of the highest powered variable to be positive. For instance:

x^2 - 5x - 6

-x^2 + 5x + 6

Both have the same roots, but I like the first form better than the 2nd. My goal is that when it's factored, I get a list of: (x - a) * (x - b) * (x - c) * ...., rather than (-x + a) * (x - b) * (x - c) * ....

-(x^2 - 5x - 6)

-(x - 6) * (x + 1)

-(x - 6) * (x + 1) is the same as:

(6 - x) * (x + 1)

or

(x - 6) * (-x - 1)

But -(x - 6) * (x + 1) looks better to me.

• Eric5 months agoReport

so if the unit of highest powered variable, for example -x^2 was negative, I would factor it out? The other numbers are irrelevant in that case?

Why do people go out of their way to try and make other people feel bad about the way they look?