Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 5 months ago

How much did a gallon of gas cost the year you were born?

.29 for me.

No idea, I was born in 1993.

• M.

In 1953, I don't know, I would guess 15¢.

But by around 1958 or 1959 I remember 19.9¢ Sometimes, there were "gas wars" between competing gas stations on different corners of a main intersection, and I saw 17.9¢

By 1963 I was buying gas for the lawnmower or my go-cart or minibike and it was 20.9¢ or 21.9¢

When I started driving in 1969 it was around 26.9¢

When I went to college in 1971-72 it was 27.9¢ at home, 29.9¢ halfway there (in farmland) and 34.9¢ in the remote forested area of the college campus.

The published prices that I always see in historical articles, always list prices that are higher than I saw with my own eyes. They surely weren't for my area in the "midwest". Maybe for California.

My grandfather said he saw gas at 15 gallons for a dollar, and a few times as low as 18 gallons for a dollar. I assume this was in the late 1920s to early 1930s. He was driving since 1919.

I worked at a gas station in 1971. I remember the prices.

• M.

This site shows significantly wrong (too high) prices, based on the gas prices in my area at the time.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-741-august-20-2012-historical-gasoline-prices-1929-2011

• david

Maybe $0.10 --- or cheaper. As a 16 year old I remember a family vacation and gas was 10 cents per gallon then. At age 19 I bought my first car and gas was 32 cents a gallon then. By 24 gas was about $1.00 per gallon ..

• david

USA == North Carolina 'gas wars' during vacation time to attract travelers with low gas prices 1967. thru ~1975 when gas hit $1 because of the gas'shortages' created by the gas companies to get prices up for higher profits.

Imagine if some of you people would have bought a few extra cans of gas and kept it till now ..... you could have really made some money .

• M.

I bought several cars for less than $50 in the early 1970s.
      I bought a 1964 Pontiac for $20 in 1972 and I still have it! It needed some engine work. But in those days parts were inexpensive.

no idea, but I could find-it a .25 cents a gallon during Basic Training .................

Source(s): Retired Army SFC.
  • Lôn

No idea but when I took my test it was 35p a gallon ( 44c a gallon)....it's now around £6.50 a gallon ($ 8.18)

• Lôn

Alan...good point...I hadn't thought of that.

20¢

$2.55 adjusted for inflation