Postpone JURY DUTY, help?

Ok so I have been summoned for Jury Duty for the first time, OMG I am so nervous now, I have a problem. I have jury duty next week in the 24th. The problem is that I live outside the city and 1 hour away from the court I need to show up to, I don't have a car and no one to take me. Can I call the office and request a postpone for a later date or maybe get an excuse till I get a car or something? I live in California btw >.<

The court will likely not accept your reason for wanting to postpone. They may suggest some ways you can get to the courthouse.

Congratulations on being called up for jury duty. It is an honor and a privilege.

The reason for your request is extremely unlikely to be accepted.

Even if you do not have any personal transport there is public transport. Just ensure you get to the court prior to the Jury selection or the hearing starts.

You will be able to reclaim legitimate travel expense such as petrol or cost of getting yourself there and you will be able to claim for wages lost during your Jury service.

Your employers cannot dismiss you because you have been called for Jury service and the fact you have been called does not mean you will selected.

• Jenny

They might just excuse you.

Call the office, explain your problem and ask what can be done. They don't bite.