Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 6 months ago

If someone confides in me about some very personal issues to help guide them to get proper help. Do I always keep it private?

They didn’t have anyone to trust or anyone to turn to. Should me even giving them some resources stay private and between us? She is suffering with anxiety, panic attacks, and an eating disorder in silence.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, when someone confides in you, always keep the personal things she shares with you private. She is confiding in you because some part of her believes that she can trust you. In a world filled with cruel people, don’t become another person in her life that she can no longer trust enough to turn to for support.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes that's true.

• Lita
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes, it should stay private. You seriously need to find a new obsession.

• 6 months ago

I would keep it private but encourage family and friends to express appreciation and love for her to help her emotionally.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jerry
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

That's why it's called PRIVATE. Betray that trust = lose a friend.

• 6 months ago

If you have sworn you'll keep it a secret between the two of you - then that's what you have to do. It's a matter of trust. You can check whether she has taken your advice and got some professional help. If you are worried about her you can offer to go with her to the appointments at first so she feels supported. She isn't your responsibility at the end of the day. You can only advise - you cannot force her to do anything.

• Jahal
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

If the person has medical coverage you should encourage her to use the services offered by her health plan. The eating disorder and panic attacks could worsen without treatment, so the sooner the better.

If she doesn't have those options, finding out about county, nonprofit agencies with free or low cost services would be in order. There are toll free mental health hotlines that connect callers to resources in their local area.

The only reason not to keep it private would be if the condition is life threatening. Since she had no one else to trust, you wouldn't be potentially breaking confidence by telling her family or friends. The implication is that she has none.

• Teal
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, you know they are expecting you to keep this private and you know you would want them to do the same if you were in this position. But you aren't their therapist. These problems are above your paygrade and it isn't fair for them to burden you if they aren't going to get any help. Shut this down and encourage her to see a professional. You will do her more harm than good if you just let her dump her negativity on to you without comment.

The only exception is if they threaten suicide. Immediately go to an authority. Suicidal people don't usually disclose their plans unless they want help. Even if she is upset with you, this is ultimately what she needs.

• 6 months ago

I personally wouldn't tell anyone since then that person won't have any trust left for you either but do what feels best for you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.