Found out my moms cousin is my father through DNA (I think.). How can I know for sure? Do you think DNA is always right?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

It's a lot more accurate than trusting family stories about who did who.

• 1 year ago

thats not uncommon and not nearly as uncommon as people think.

I have a pair of uncles who married sisters and the sisters are 3nd cousins to my uncles.

WAAAAY back when all this happened, it was a family horror and no one spoke of it. It just wasn't done.

Now no one cares.

• Prince
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

With the Witness Protection Program, you had better rely on DNA.

• 1 year ago

People lie but the blood (DNA) doesn't lie

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Unless you really understand DNA, as a science, your "I think", says it all. There are many times when people ho seem to think that Genealogical DNA is an absolute and that results from the companies provides proof, only to discover that they are not actually related to someone that is labeled a relative. Do the traditional research; ask your mother, and check birth records.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 50+ years
  • 1 year ago

Document your findings. Just because there is a match doesn't mean he is your father./

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You paid for an ancestry DNA ENTERTAINMENT test.......... so that is what you got.......... if you 'think' that then go and pay and get a patenity test with your mothers cousins...you know a real DNA test not one sold to entertain you

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Which is it, "through DNA" or "I think"?

You know for sure by letting a lab compare your DNA to his. If you two share less than 23 chromosomes, he is not your biological father

• 1 year ago

Think about it. You get HALF of your chromosomes from your mother. You get HALF from your father. They each get half from each of their parents and a quarter from their grandparents. So cousins have ONE QUARTER of the same genes coming from their common grandparents. So if your mother gives you Half of her Quarter and her cousin gives you Half of His quarter then you would still have a quarter of the genes of your great grandparents. You would have the same quarter as your mother and your cousin and it would show you are equally related to each of them. There is no "I think" involved her.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

What do you mean "you think"? You do know cousins are related by DNA, right? Of course DNA is always right but you don't seem to understand what exactly is being measured.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.