Found out my moms cousin is my father through DNA (I think.). How can I know for sure? Do you think DNA is always right?

It's a lot more accurate than trusting family stories about who did who.

thats not uncommon and not nearly as uncommon as people think.

I have a pair of uncles who married sisters and the sisters are 3nd cousins to my uncles.

WAAAAY back when all this happened, it was a family horror and no one spoke of it. It just wasn't done.

Now no one cares.

• Prince

With the Witness Protection Program, you had better rely on DNA.

People lie but the blood (DNA) doesn't lie

Unless you really understand DNA, as a science, your "I think", says it all. There are many times when people ho seem to think that Genealogical DNA is an absolute and that results from the companies provides proof, only to discover that they are not actually related to someone that is labeled a relative. Do the traditional research; ask your mother, and check birth records.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 50+ years

Document your findings. Just because there is a match doesn't mean he is your father./

• Maxi

You paid for an ancestry DNA ENTERTAINMENT test.......... so that is what you got.......... if you 'think' that then go and pay and get a patenity test with your mothers cousins...you know a real DNA test not one sold to entertain you

• Zirp

Which is it, "through DNA" or "I think"?

You know for sure by letting a lab compare your DNA to his. If you two share less than 23 chromosomes, he is not your biological father

Think about it. You get HALF of your chromosomes from your mother. You get HALF from your father. They each get half from each of their parents and a quarter from their grandparents. So cousins have ONE QUARTER of the same genes coming from their common grandparents. So if your mother gives you Half of her Quarter and her cousin gives you Half of His quarter then you would still have a quarter of the genes of your great grandparents. You would have the same quarter as your mother and your cousin and it would show you are equally related to each of them. There is no "I think" involved her.

What do you mean "you think"? You do know cousins are related by DNA, right? Of course DNA is always right but you don't seem to understand what exactly is being measured.