Windows 10 with Anti-Virus Security package or Linux Mint with no security package - Which is more secure and why?

If Linux is more secure is it because Linux was designed with security in mind? Or because it's usage is so low compared to Windows that hackers don't really try to screw with it too much?

Update:

Update: Stupid questions. Are there antivirus programs for Linux?

Update 2:

Never mind about me asking about the AV. I just Googled it and saw several.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Linus is better for the simple matter that very few viruses were written to attack the Linux system. You should still look for and install a good virus software once installed.

• Enigma
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

LOL,dude. Here,let me tell you the haps. I've seen plenty of snooty punks on the forumn get Mac laptops that their mommy and daddy bought for them and they think they're above everyone else because they think a Mac doesn't need an AV and off they go into the malware/virus/spyware filled world wide web and shortly afterward the $1500-$2500 machine is worthless because it's filled with the aforementioned baddies. Most,if not all,ran their Mac without a firewall either (it's not enabled by default). Like Linux? Get Linux. Go hog wild on the world wide web w/o protection and your PC will be as worthless as those Macs the first day.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Mint hands down. Linux is secure from the start. It's more difficult to hack but it doesn't mean no one is hacking it.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It's because Linux is less common so not a main target for attackers, you should still install antivirus software on it. It's by no means virus free.

Even so Linux remains a safer bet but by all means both systems are just as secure as the person using it. If someone doesn't keep the software (OS, antivirus, web browsers etc) up to date, downloads files/attachments that they don't are safe, clicks on random links etc, then viruses will easily or eventually slip through the net.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.