No periods?

Back when I was 18 and still a virgin, I missed my period for 4 months and was diagnosed with amenorrhea. Fast forward a bit and I’m no longer a virgin, I’m on the pill, and my periods are now normal and come once a month and are light flows because of the pill. I’m now 22, and for 2 years I’ve been off the pill. Ever since then my periods have been super weird and nonexistent again. I only had 2 in 2018 and 2 in 2019 so far. My last one only lasted a day. There is no way I’m pregnant because I haven’t been sexually active. All my life I’ve always been a tired person. When I was little my doctor had to give me iron pills but I was never diagnosed with anemia. So why am I always tired and never have periods?

• Pippin

Amenhorrea isn t a diagnosis. It s a symptom. It just means no periods.

When you went on the pill, the pill hormones caused you to have regular bleeds but it didn t cure (or even really treat) whatever underlying health condition is causing you to have no periods.

Severe anemia CAN result in a lack of periods, but there are also many other possibilities, from PCOS to thyroid issues to pituitary tumors.

(And if you weren t diagnosed with anemia, not clear why you were given iron pills.)

You really need to go back to the doctor for a complete work-up. There are dozens of possibilities to explain your symptoms, but nobody here can possibly guess what it might be.