I drive a 1994 subaru svx. Does it have a belt or timing chain and should it be replaced. I have 135K miles on it.?

It has a belt, and yes replace it as soon as possible. Sounds like you're overdue. If that belt fails, it could mean an engine replacement. Also, like anonymous said keep it in good condition. It will be a collectible one day, if it's not becoming one already.

• F

I believe Subaru petrol engines have belts, the diesels have chains.

Yes it has both. I would do it due to age alone.

I'v never worked on a Subaru with a timing chain. The way to tell if it's a chain or belt on every vehicle is to look at the engine cover behind the drive belts. if it's plastic it's a timing belt. If it's metal it's a timing chain.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • JetDoc

READ the owner's manual! There is a section in there about scheduled maintenance, and it will tell you the miles or times when certain services should be done.

Belt.

It definitely should be replaced every 100-120k miles.

Keep this car in good condition. It will be a collector someday.