What can I do about boss that wants to be friend one minute then switches and criticizes, reprimands etc?

What can I do about boss that wants to be friend one minute then switches and criticizes, reprimands etc? My current boss acts like she wants to be friends with staff one minute Inviting them to stuff getting them presents etc. then all of a sudden if someone does something she doesn’t like or she’s in a mood,... show more What can I do about boss that wants to be friend one minute then switches and criticizes, reprimands etc?
My current boss acts like she wants to be friends with staff one minute
Inviting them to stuff getting them presents etc.
then all of a sudden if someone does something she doesn’t like or she’s in a mood, she will lecture and even yell or threaten.
I personally set boundaries and don’t get overly upset when she flips, but a few co workers have been in tears and feel betrayed. Then a few weeks later she brings them flowers and invites them to lunch.
I always decline lunches invited to outside of work activities and if she gives me gifts I say thank u but don’t show much emotion the same when she reprimands me.
I don’t think a boss can be a friend one minute then a dictator the next?
I would never be friends with boss even if we didn’t work together and with my boundaries set I have a decent working relationship. I get annoyed but usually only lasts till 5.
A few a my co workers are so confused I don’t know what to say
7 answers 7