Do middle-aged straight men want friends who can't do something for them in their careers or other organizations?

Do middle-aged straight men want to make friends who they can spend time with, when the friends can't be helpful to them in their jobs? I'm a middle-aged straight guy. I of course like making new friends, but the new friends who I would actually spend time with are only people who are in my line of work... show more Do middle-aged straight men want to make friends who they can spend time with, when the friends can't be helpful to them in their jobs?

I'm a middle-aged straight guy. I of course like making new friends, but the new friends who I would actually spend time with are only people who are in my line of work or could help me in some way in my career.

If I meet someone who I like, but if the person is in a different line of work or otherwise couldn't help me in my job (either my paid job or in one of the volunteer organizations where I volunteer), I'll say hello to the person when I see him, but I won't grab a drink with him or the like.

Is this pretty typical?

Thanks.