Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 6 months ago

Can a flight attendant make enough money to buy a $500,000 home?

I know that untied can pay a lot for flight attendants .. is this realistic if I were to try to become one after getting an associates degree?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Rogue
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

First get a good job that you enjoy. Start saving your money. Check with collages and universities for courses on investing. Once you are comfortable with investing small amounts of your own money, you can get into bigger investments by using the banks money for investing by taking out loans and only paying interest on the loan. I retired at 50 years of age doing this, and still enjoy the challenge of investing at 70. We owned our own house by the time I was 38.

• 6 months ago

Not if that salary is their only source of income and they have no other money

• RICK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No

The average United Airlines flight attendant makes $58,000 annually, you are not buying a $500k home on that salary

• 6 months ago

No. I know pilots who live in nice houses, but not ones that cost $500,000.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

On their own? Not a chance.

With a partner that has a good income? maybe.

• 6 months ago

Not too likely and if it happened it would be after years of careful saving and planning. Let's say you manage to save 20% as a down payment, $100,000. That would mean, at today's interest rates, a little over $2,000 a month in mortgage payments. Add in property taxes, insurance, utility bills, and you're looking at a minimum of another $500 a month. Those things can vary considerably depending where you are. It could be much more. It isn't likely to be less. And we haven't even figured in normal maintenance and repair expenses.

The amount of mortgage you can qualify for is based on how much you earn. To qualify for a mortgage of $2,000 a month, you'd have to earn at least 3 times that, $6,000 a month or $72,000 a year.

Median salary for a flight attendant in the US is around $55,000. Half will make more than that, half will make less. How much you make depends where you work, your qualifications and your seniority. Take-home pay would be a little over $3,000. On a flight attendant's median salary, you would be barely able to pay the basic expenses for a $500,000 home as well as paying for food, never mind anything else like clothes. And you wouldn't qualify for a mortgage in the first place.

• 6 months ago

On a house that expensive, not knowing WHERE, let's assume you mortgage, taxes, and utilities will be $6000 a month (airports are often near big cities). If you just fainted, let's make that 5k. You are paying in after-tax dollars (let's not include any tax deductions yet). That is 60k a year. What do you actually think an FA makes a year???? Unless you somehow have s massive down payment - at least 50pc ( FIFTY! Typo!) down - you are delusional.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

To qualify for a mortgage that big? If that is what you mean, no unless you have a very large down payment. Have people who made less than what flight attendants make accumulated enough, yes by living frugally and investing well.

• ?
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

On your own no way. But a flight attendant can get a man who can afford one.

• DEBS
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Why does he need a man? Why can't the flight attendant find a woman?

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

A house is not a good measure. There are houses from $50 000 to $800 000 minimum in different areas. You would possibly have to save a deposit. And you risk being transferred to another base and having to sell.

• Luna6 months agoReport

What do you think is the best option?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.