Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 year ago

Why does it cost $150 dollars to buy a cat?

That’s a lot of money.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favourite answer

Actually pedigreed kittens START at around $600 for pet quality.

You don't "buy" shelter animals you ADOPT them. Most shelters charge around $100-$150 for kittens and most charge a lot less for adult cats.

These cats/kittens are altered, shots, disease tested, deflead, dewormed, microchipped. All of that costs the shelter at LEAST $400 PER ANIMAL. Many animals also need additional vet care - like the senior Himalayan I adopted last year with FOURTEEN PAGES of vet records of things they had to do to save her.

There's also the cost of feeding the cats and kittens, litter, litter boxes, toys, beds. Rent or mortgage for the facility. Utilities. Insurance. Paid employees. Maintenance. Licenses. It's VERY expensive to run a shelter.

If you get a "free" kitten or cat from someone odds are it will have little or more likely NONE of the things a shelter's vet does to the animal so you're looking at $400+ out of pocket for those vet bills.

So you REALLY think $150 is a "lot"???

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

Depends on the breed I guess

• olivia
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

As indicated by this report, the complete first-year cost of owning a pooch is $1,270 and for a feline it's $1,070. As should be obvious, having a pet can cost you over $1,000 in the primary year, and well over $500 each extra year. Contingent upon the nourishment you purchase and unexpected medicinal costs, the expenses could be a lot higher.

• patty
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

go to the nearest allyway and should find a stray.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

i get my cats free from facebook ads

• 1 year ago

The price of a cat has gone up drastically. In my state, we have a cat rescue that practically gives them away because there are so many. Even the cat food and litter prices are skyrocketing. To cut costs, I made my own cat box out of a large plastic tub and cut a bit square out of one side and kept the lid on (has to be high enough so they can sit directly up) and buy food and litter at Sams (similar to Costco).

• 1 year ago

you can get them for free if you look in the adverts.

• J C
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

free kittes do not come free of cost - it's going to cost $400 or more to get that free kitten vetted and spayed/neutered.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

They want profit , just get one off Craigslist for cheaper

• ZotsRule
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Oh please. Shelters LOSE money on every adoption. The only people "profiting' are the backyard breeders on craigslist selling no breed kittens with NOTHING done.

• BJJ
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Not if you're buying it from a breeder and it has a pedigree

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

The high price prevents people with bad reasons for owning a car from getting that one. There are people who take cats offered for free as a way to train fighting dogs, or for lab experiments, like that.

Depending on the source of this $150 cat, it may also have had its shots and been spayed or neutered.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.