Question about rent increase?

I've lived in my apartment for 2 and a half years, now in a government apartment (highrise) and live in a small studio apartment by myself. When I moved in i didnt have an income so i wasn't paying rent and did community service. I've had two jobs since and they were only part time so i just paid a minimum of $50 a month. I was told that anytime i got a job or quit or lost a job to report it to the manager in my building but they've never went into detail until this year, when they raised my rent from $50 to $275 in a months spand. I've been working part time at Dollar General since April of last year and ive told my hours aren't always the same. And after i talked to them about my rent increase the landlord in my building told me they made a mistake in my file and that was rent was supposed to increase and that i lucked out. They told me i had this thing called HUD, and i recently found out the goverment shut it down in January and that's when they were going to going to raise my rent but didn't give me a notice until March. Would i technology still qualify for HUD? I have $375 for rent and owe $775. They told me even if i quit or lost my job they cant go backwards.

The government shut down was only temporary & only lasted about a month. Only they can tell you if you still qualify or not. It sounds like you are in income based low income housing. In this type of housing when you make more money your rent goes up. You are legally required to report all changes in income and they change your rent accordingly.

You need to sit down with a staff member & make sure you understand the program you are renting under. If you have issues understanding then take someone with you.

By HUD, I think they mean the section 8 program overseen by HUD (HUD stands for Department of Housing and Urban Development). You would probably qualify for section 8 housing (thru HUD), depending on your income, but in many (really most) areas teh waiting list to get into the Section 8 program can be many years and anytime a single parent applies to the program they will likely jump ahead of all non-single parents in the queue (assuming here you aren't a single parent). So, it might be a long shot ever getting assistance via the section 8 program but really not much harm in applying anyhow.

Sounds like you have a decent deal even paying $275 so I suggest you get the rest you owe quickly, pay the back rent and then keep up with your payments or you'll be out on the street very soon. I also suspect that short of losing your job your rent won't go down (and the income you lost would be far more than the rent saved) so expect that $275 to never go down, probably its going up, eventually.

HUD wasn't shut down. there was a temporary government shut down. it re opened when the budget was worked out.

there is NO EXCUSE for you to not be working full time unless you are actually severely disabled...in which case you would get SSI/SSDI.

there may be a minimum rent based on the minimum required work income to be eligible.

some programs require a minimum of 30 hours work per week. That is 942.50/month minimum (varies based on state) and those tenants are charged 282.75/month rent.

If you have a mild disability such as a learning disability, go to the state vocational rehab program for help getting a job that is right for you.

That is very low rent, so I would be very happy if I were you. The more you make the more you pay.

• Never

You are in government housing and your rent is based on your income. The more you make, the higher your rent. $275-375 is still discounted rent. Shop around, you'll see.

If your income goes down they will lower your rent again.