Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 year ago

Should i discipline my little brother ?

My little brother is a relly bad boy, he hits, bits, insult me and my Sister, he broke my Phone yesterday, i can't support him any more i tryed every thing whith him (when i take away his toys he start hitting me, i tryed to make him sit in a corner for punishment but he don't liste..) nothing works with him, and i'm his baby-sitter almost all the time, my Mom gave me permition to discipline him when she's not around whenever He needs a spanking, what should i do ? And how do i discipline him in an appropriat way ? (he is 6 and i am 20)

Ask your mom.

He's pretty old to be starting some discipline, but better late than never. Does he act this way for your mother? What does she do? I personally believe that logical consequences work.... give him the onus of being responsible. For example, say you and he are at a store and he becomes very naughty. You must say, "We cannot have you in here when you are behaving like this." and you take his hand and lead him out of the store. If that's not possible, you may have to pick him up and carry him, but you cannot let him continue the behavior. How did he get hold of your phone? I think you will have to be very careful about keeping things from him, especially when you start a plan to discipline him, because at first, he will actually start acting worse to see if he can break you down. You must be consistent, don't argue or yell, just be firm and follow through. It would be helpful if you arrange to take him some place that he wants to go, and tell him that he must behave. Be clear about your expectations... and then,if he does not behave, either he doesn't go or he is taken home.. some of this may need to be staged at first, but he has to get the idea that he is in control through the way he behaves. Do not argue, do not hit, but be consistent. We do not do this thing, and if you do, this is the consequence. I really think that your parents should be doing this. Also, does he have anger management problems that need to be seen by a professional? How is he in school? Perhaps help is available there...

Yes, but there a lots of ways to discipline him other than spanking. Ask your Mom for suggestions.

Sounds like you need to re-assess how you deal with his outbursts....before you pull out the belt.

• Dylan

Honestly just pickup a parenting book. This isn't the place to find good advice on how to discipline kids.