When learning a language, why don't speaking and listening skills develop together?

I didn't want my question title to be too long. So this is what I mean: I'm learning French. I can watch videos and listen to songs. I understand what they're saying almost right away. Whether cartoons, science videos, etc. But when it comes to actually speaking French, it takes me a while to form... show more I didn't want my question title to be too long. So this is what I mean: I'm learning French. I can watch videos and listen to songs. I understand what they're saying almost right away. Whether cartoons, science videos, etc. But when it comes to actually speaking French, it takes me a while to form sentences. Such as "how long until we arrive there?" Yet I can hear it and understand right away. So how come these skills don't develop at the same time? I don't live anywhere near French-speakers and have never spoken to one besides my teacher.
Update: How can I improve my speaking then?