Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 year ago

Why is there crossfit and calisthenics exercises in mma, kickboxing and other martial arts?

It's abour fighting. What those crossfit stuff for?

CrossFit (cross-training) and calisthenics are "necessary" for the purposes of conditioning the athlete for the rigors of a fight that will last for more than three 5-minute rounds. All skill and no conditioning is great for a fight that lasts under 1 minute, but most MMA fights will make it past the first 3-minute round. If you lack stamina, then you're in trouble.

Conditioning. If you can't take a hit or can't stay fighting for too long, all the fighting is useless. Conditioning your endurance helps you a lot during sparring, and even more in real fights. You may be the Bruce Lee of the era, but if you can't take a shot in the gut, or you run out of breath 3 minutes into fighting, what good are your skills?

@Donnie is partially right. Not just for endurance or stamina it is also injury prevention. You have to condition certain areas of the body. Mainly when you are talking abt impact and impact trauma. Also the joints and its connecting tissues get battered and stretched to its limits.

The human body can only take so much abuse before it breaks down. And when fighting you are pushing limits physically and mentally. Also when you are getting into clinch and grappling. You actually do need some strength to move that opponent, since it is usually with full resistance and counters.

One of the only ways to compete and actually live a life where you are not racked up with pain is thru calisthenics. Why do you think gladiators and ancient armies did these things.

You have to condition the body to with stand getting pummeled, thrown and twisted up.

Donnie Porko is correct. I'll further explain that I disagree with the wording of you question since "MMA" and "kickboxing" are martial SPORTS that are catered toward one-on-one combat in a controlled environment that consists of separate rounds. Martial arts if taught for applicable combat might not have a calisthenics regimen in their regular curriculum.

For instance, I have had private students where lessons were one-on-one and lasted from 30 minutes to 1 hour. My time for which I was compensated was to teach techniques and concepts, which I explained to students and potential students. I always emphasized the importance of physical fitness, but I implore students to do this on their own (along with practicing their martial arts on their own outside of lessons); why pay me my rate to watch you do sit-ups, push-ups, join you for a run, etc. when you can do that on your own for free? In context, it was a waste of time and money.

You need stamina. If you’re exhausted after 1 round, you’re not going to win many matches.