Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 year ago

why is calculus so hard to understand?

I am not convinced it is. It is simply that calculus is not reflecting the world perception and thought process of all human individuals. Some people have innate and trained brain function that suits the worldview that calculus reflects. Some do not.

Calculus problems can be difficult to solve, because of the nature of mathematics. The concepts are not that difficult. Using them can be.

It isn't!

It's not. Think of it as a type of "super algebra". If you understand the fundamentals of algebra you'll understand calculus,

Don't confuse "super algebra" with superalgebra- that's something else:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superalgebra

It's not. It is just poor teaching. In my experience as a physicist, math teachers do a poor job of explaining mathematical concepts in a common sense way. I learned most of my calculus in my physics classes.

• Dixon

Because it doesn't really build incrementally on previous work, it introduces a totally new concept. I also suspect it is often taught badly to save time and just get to the how-to-do-it part.

It is hard to understand in the same way that many people don't really get that 0.99999... is exactly the same as 1. Even when it is proved to them, some fundamental thing in their brain won't have it. To some extent this is a matter of mathematical mental maturity and innate mathematical ability.

• Como

-

But perhaps it is not so hard to understand?

Could it be that a classmate or tutor might be able to help you?

• Sky

It could be an ineffective teacher. My first year of algebra in 8th grade was very difficult, and I barely passed the class. I took algebra 2 the next year when I started high school, and everything clicked. I totally aced the class, and then aced geometry the next year and trigonometry the year after. Calculus in senior year was more challenging but I think I had an A- in that. The math teacher I had in high school was apparently really good at teaching in a way that made everything make sense. When I had calc 2, 3, and 4 in college, those were also taught by very good teachers, and while it did get progressively harder, it still made sense.

Trigonometry is also complex.

There is just a long set of numbers or work to be done to finally come up with an approximate answer.

Here is an example:

There is someone in the middle of the store in front of public. He masturbates and a Mom from public tells him to not stop and she starts creaming in her pants. Is the store going to have enough sales?

“usually when someone lives it up they are spending money they should be giving to charity” thoughts on someone saying this? Saying someone Should give THEIR money THEY earned to charity and not spend it on themselves