Why do Asian parents tend to be much stricter and less affectionate towards their kids (showing more “tough love” instead)?

I notice that a lot of Asian families invest lots of extra time in their kid’s education, and protect their children more too. While that’s good, it also seems like they’re more strict and less affectionate. Some kids are not allowed as much freedom as their same-aged peers whose parents grew up in America. Parents... show more I notice that a lot of Asian families invest lots of extra time in their kid’s education, and protect their children more too. While that’s good, it also seems like they’re more strict and less affectionate. Some kids are not allowed as much freedom as their same-aged peers whose parents grew up in America. Parents might have a harder time hugging or kissing. They show love in other ways, often tough love, to do what’s best for their kids, but I can’t help but notice the big differences.