How much should you ideally spend on an engagement ring?

is there a standard rule or guideline?

like how much times your income etc... ?

My fiance had a budget of 1000. He went in and out of jewelry shops, and had a lot of thoughts about what I liked, and about what he wanted me to wear.

He got me a promise ring a long time ago, and when he saw a ring that was shaped exactly that way only bigger, he knew that's what he wanted.

Outside of the fact he got it for me, I would never had picked something that fancy. But he felt so strongly about that ring, price didn't matter at all..

I think about how much he loves that ring on me. I think about how its special to HIM. And I get upset when someone insults it for being too fancy, because he loved it and chose it for ME.

It's difficult for guys to pick a ring I think. The only advice I can give is make sure it ages well, and if there is something about that ring that reminds YOU of the both of you, that's the one. I'm so lucky that my fiance fell in love with my ring when he saw it, and now that's what it makes me think of whenever i see it on my hand.

• Mikayla1 year agoReport

Also any rule is ridiculous. If my fiance paid 3 months salary that would have been 15000, and um. No ring is worth that much unless you are a fan of the designer themselves and its quality, but people are rarely that picky

Instead of asking random strangers, this is something you need to speak to your partner about. Most women have a good idea as to what they want, and this should be a mutual decision, even if it is a gift from you to her. Other gifts are not presumed to be worn for a lifetime- it is not smart to go into this blindly.

It needs to be made of materials that will actually last for that lifetime, so you need to find something made of gold, white gold (actually an alloy) or platinum, and if it has stones, they should be hard enough not to break or wear down. It could be a quite small diamond or gemstone ring for a few hundred dollars, or a larger diamond, ruby or sapphire for thousands.

The key is that it be something she is proud to wear, and in a style she likes, but not so expensive that it is using money you actually need for your future or present. While it once was seen as a payment for her virtue, and a demonstration that you could afford to keep her, now it is more symbolic.

Ask her to marry you first, and then take her ring shopping- after you agree on how much you are able to spend, and what she actually wants. You may find she doesn't want a big expensive diamond at all, and as a couple, it's time you learned how to make such a decision together.

• Trish

Whatever you feel is best. If you pick the ring together then you have to include her thoughts and wishes.

• John P

As much as you can affords, or as little as you think you can get way with.

Whatever you can afford. And dont put yourself into debt. If you can't pay cash, why bother?

The only rules were made up by the diamond industry. Spend what you can afford without going into debt.

No.

Buy what you can afford.

The "three months' salary" bullshiiiiit is from an ad campaign. Not a rule or a tradition.

While there are different opinions, for a middle class person the rule is 2 months income.

If you can not afford that, you do what you can.

If you can afford more than that, you free to spend as much as you want.

• Petter

There are no rules or guidlines. Pretty much anything goes.

The rule of thumb is a month's income. Feel free to ignore the "rule".