Why do I need to keep my steering wheel slightly to the left when driving straight?

I have a 2018 Toyota Camry, when driving straight I need to keep the steering wheel slightly to the left. Just had the car realigned, my alignment was off. I took the car back a second time to have it checked and the shop told me it was fine. What could my issue be? Also I had a new set of tires put on 2 months ago. Has anybody else had this issue?

They did a poor job and aligned it with the steering off-center.

• JetDoc

The mechanic who did the alignment work got lazy and didn't take the time to restore the steering wheel to center. It's no big deal... Just something you'll have to get used to. Find a different shop to do your service work next time.

Alignment shop should have set the wheel straight when they did alignment. They're telling you it's OK because they don't want to spend the time to fix it for free. Never go there again and tell your friends.

Many roads are slightly higher in the middle to direct rainwater off to the sides. If your vehicle is perfectly aligned, that would cause a slight drift to the outside of the road. In the US, that would mean you need to steer slightly left to travel straight.

Take it to the dealer and have them go for a test drive with you. If the 4 wheel alignment was done right the steering rack or if it has electronic steering may be causing it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

The alignment was done on a level surface. The road has a crown to it with slight downhill curve to the right and that's what the car wants to follow. You may find this different on wide and level roads as you drive in the middle of the road.

• The Devil
      1 year agoReport

Seriously, David. Step away from the computer and look at the road in front of your house the same as everyone does in the US.

What we need to know is when you say keeping your steering wheel to the left, do you mean you have to fight against it (keep constant pressure), or just that your steering wheel is not perfectly straight when you are driving straight? If the latter, the shop did a poor job, and doesn't want to fix it. If the former, it still could be the shop lying to get out of doing extra work (the work they should have done in the first place), or it could be something else.

• CB

If you are in a drive on the right side of the road country the reason may be the right-slope of the road (all roads are crowned so the right side leans off slightly to the right to allow water to drain. ON a perfectly level road (not easy to find) how does it steer - and really it is not an alignment of the front end that could be off but the alignment of the steering wheel was not perfect when it was locked into place prior to alignment.

• CB
      1 year agoReport

No it could be perfectly aligned but the steering wheel not aligned -- the wheels are aligned and usually the steering in held straight so everything seems normal but if the guy locked the steering wheel very slightly askew then you have the situation the OP may be experiencing.

• Kenny

They print out the alignment spec for you? Reason it was misalign in the first place? Were the tires rotated?

• Kenny
      1 year agoReport

I would have the shop test drive car and see if notice it. If so, ask them for their suggestion.

Would rotate the front tires and see if that changes anything. Thinking wear pattern of the tires might affect the alignment. I'm assuming the tire air pressure is correct before all this.

• Joe

You might double-check your tire pressures, all around. (That's probably not it, but it won't cost you anything to check.)

It's also possible that your steering box (rack and pinion) is mis-adjusted. I'd be surprised if the shop didn't check that, though.