I want to install an SSD but I only have one SATA power cable?

What kind of cable should I use so I can install an SSD and WHERE should I connect it to?

There is no way to split it with wire cutting unless you REALLY know what you are doing, best thing to do is get a Molex to SATA or USB to SATA. I use molex adapter and it works fine. You can get one off eBay for under 5 USD

One is all you need unless you are using 2 storage disks.

• Fulano

The best fix would be to get a new power supply that has the proper plugs. You can get new good quality ones for $30 on sale that provide 500 Watts.

A good PSU calculator can help you know how big of a PSU you need:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

There are adapters out there, but things can get iffy with power supply adapters because there are tons of super cheap poorly made ones, or they don't provide the right power, or enough power, etc.

The caveat to using a Molex to SATA cable adapter is the SATA connector outputs more watts than what the 4-pin molex provides. There is an old saying about this:

“Molex to SATA, lose all your Data.”

You can try this if you like but be aware of the risks. Adapters are known to fail, burn up, and the electrical output of each connector has differences.

Even the worst of the worst power supply units Ive ever seen had multiple SATA connectors. You must have a real Dumpster Fire of a Power Supply in your PC if it only has one SATA connector. I have a feeling that you might have another cable that’s hidden in the rats nest of unused cables. If you don’t have another SATA connector then maybe it’s time to think about getting another power supply.

• Shadow

If you have a spare Molex power plug, then get the adapter cable that goes from Molex to SATA power and you're sorted.

The other option is to get a Molex to SATA Power adapter. They are relatively cheap.

just get a power cable splitter -- should be easily found at your fav online retailer

• keerok

Buy a SATA power cable splitter.

• Bill

sshd are all sata cable

if you only have one cable and want another cable then why not go to a computer shop to get one or get one from E-bay