I found out my boss has been sabotaging my job applications. What should I do?

I am a recent college graduate, and I work for a solo attorney. It is only him, a secretary (his wife), and myself. I worked for him for two years now, and he pays me $12 an hour (30 hours per week), which is pretty good, but not enough for me to be financially independent. I recently interviewed for a recent... show more I am a recent college graduate, and I work for a solo attorney. It is only him, a secretary (his wife), and myself. I worked for him for two years now, and he pays me $12 an hour (30 hours per week), which is pretty good, but not enough for me to be financially independent. I recently interviewed for a recent alum's company, and his company had him do reference checks. The alum informed me my current boss gave a less than favorable reference. I have interviewed with other companies too, and used him as a reference, but now I suspect he gave them bad references as well.

now, the work i do is valued much more than $12 an hour (filing zoning permits, variances, etc..) and I think i do a very good job. I have great working relationships with the clients, civic groups, government staff, etc... I even use one of my long term clients as a job reference. in addition, I have travel often on public transport to the client sites, and sometimes walk up to 5+ miles per day.

I now believe the boss is trying to keep me around as long as possible because i am difficult to replace and he doesn't want to pay market rate for a paralegal or associate attorney.

my major is mathematics with a minor in computer science with a 3.15 gpa. So i think my market value is $20+ an hour. i've also interned with a mortgage insurance company last year but i couldn't get a full time offer from them. There is an Ivy league and a large state school where I am so the job market is super competitive
Update: This was a part time job for while I attended college, and it doubled as me learning about the legal industry. There was an understanding between the boss and myself that I wasn't going to stay after graduation since I would either attend law school upon graduation or work professionally in my major. I chose to... show more This was a part time job for while I attended college, and it doubled as me learning about the legal industry. There was an understanding between the boss and myself that I wasn't going to stay after graduation since I would either attend law school upon graduation or work professionally in my major. I chose to work professionally instead. This is basically a low skill job a college student does for spending money, equivalent to working at McDonald's
Update 2: and with regards to me walking up to 5 miles a day and taking public transportation, part of my duties is visiting my client's properties to take photographs and distribute civic meeting flyers, sometimes in high crime areas, and in the inhospitable summer and winter months. finding someone who can perform the... show more and with regards to me walking up to 5 miles a day and taking public transportation, part of my duties is visiting my client's properties to take photographs and distribute civic meeting flyers, sometimes in high crime areas, and in the inhospitable summer and winter months. finding someone who can perform the physical demands nearly everyday, while having the administrative skills is not easy. we do no have a company car so I really on public transportation to travel to the sites.
Update 3: I started at $9, and I have been given raises steadily since I have worked there. When i first started if was very simple office work like scanning the mail, answering the phone, and cleaning.