Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 year ago

Is their much homosexuality in martial arts?

I have trained many years with my best friend Ryan in the martial arts class where we do judo and jujitsu.

All of us students are like a family. We train hard and are very competitive here. Anyway I never suspected it but my sensei and I confronted Ryan and outed him as gay.

We both went to the changing room and our instructor is a huge man 6'6 130 kg giant of a man stood in the doorway asked Ryan (alone) straight up "Ry are you gay?" several times.

Ryan then broke down and admitted he his gay. I can't believe it he in his 20's and the straightest guy I know. We've been drinking sprees, Lap dancing clubs when we went laos, motor sports !

Since then he hasn't answered my messages or picks the phone up as I want to tell him it's cool. At the moment only sensei and me know.

It will be awkward training with him next time we meet. Shall we tell everyone?

What's the best way to deal with it?

Why are you so intolerant of LGBT people? Do you think that Ryan "chose to be gay" in a world that is dominated by straight people? I don't understand why you care if someone is LGBT or not.

Some, depends on initial culture if Gay is tossed out just for being Gay, Discipline for coerced submission of subordinate WILL happen in most traditional schools - like criminal fraternization in military when superior officer may have intimate contact with recruits. Court martial offense then.. Equal belt rank and not in Dojo , some discrete contact is tolerated- personal activity.

Who the fk cares, him being gay has nothing to do with you or anyone nor is it a problem.

when i did bjj. one of the students was gay. i wouldnt worry about it. i rolled with him multiple times and never felt any hard on. martial arts is for everyone.

You are really a top notch martial arts school. Way to go. Maybe 'Blackbelts' "school of the year" award is in order.

His sexual orientation is really none of your business. Just leave it be. And your instructor is somewhat of a dick for asking like that.

Can we guess on who gave me that thumbs down?! I have to say you are a real piece of work.

• Steel

It's odd that you two took such an active role in his personal life. Even odder still that you would post something about it here.

To answer your question, if there were a resounding affirmative to your query, would you quit martial arts, or are you secure enough in your own identity to keep at it and enjoy it? If non placet, would you feel more secure about doing it?

The best way to deal with someone's private business is to leave it private.

• JoKyoNim
      1 year agoReport

I agree with Steel. The way i think i would say just let it be. It is none of your business. Now if he came out of the closet and said something to you or your instructor that is a different issue.

it happens but i wouldnt tell anyone unless he does

I would guess that there is no more or no less homosexuality in martial arts as there is anywhere else. Gay people are people and do stuff that other people do. Personally I think that it is terrible how you treated this guy. You should never forcibly "out" a guy. The best way to deal with it is to mind your own damn business. Do your martial arts and let the poor guy have his private life be private. If he was hitting on someone inappropriately that might be different but that doesn't sound like it was the case.