Why are my parents so mad at me because I don’t want to celebrate MY birthday?

I don’t really like celebrating my birthday. I’ve always been like that since I was a kid. I don’t like the attention, it makes me uncomfortable when people give me gifts, and I’ve never been one for parties. I’ve just finished my first year of college now and I’m turning 20. I told my parents I don’t want to... show more I don’t really like celebrating my birthday. I’ve always been like that since I was a kid. I don’t like the attention, it makes me uncomfortable when people give me gifts, and I’ve never been one for parties. I’ve just finished my first year of college now and I’m turning 20. I told my parents I don’t want to celebrate my birthday this year. They got all mad at me and acted offended that I didn’t want to to celebrate with them. They always made me feel awkward about celebrating it when I was a kid. Whether it was then getting mad at me on my birthday, screaming at me for something I didn’t do, not mentioning my birthday at all up until the day of, and almost always, they’ve acted really passive aggressive about my birthday - giving me the impression that it’s a huge inconvenience to celebrate my birthday. Like one year, for my birthday, they took time and the family to the beach when they knew I had a fear of drowning and KNEW I wouldn’t go into the water. Last year, my stepdad made it really clear that he didn’t want to celebrate my birthday the next year. I don’t understand why they’re so upset. I don’t like celebrating it, they clearly don’t either. So why bother? Thanks for reading all of this. If anyone has any advice I’d be so grateful. Have a good day!