Can I saw off my computer's 3 pin power cord to make it compatible with 2 pin socket?

is it safe?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • hart
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

just do no problems

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I would recommend replacing the outlet with a 3-prong if you can ground it. The adapter would work if you can also ground it. It needs to be grounded, bottom line. Since you’re asking this, I really think you need to hire an electrician.

If not, your best bet would be to move the PC near a 3 prong outlet. You could also look at a 25’ 12-ga extension cord but you will lose a small amount of power in the cord.

• John
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

You need to run a cable from the chassis to ground if you saw off the ground cable.

• 7 months ago

It would be better to cut off the current plug and cable a compatible plug to it however, there is a reason for the third pin. If the appliance requires an earth cable, then it's best that you connect one or you'll become the earth when you touch the appliance and an earthed point at the same time.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The round one? No need to saw. Just bend back and forth to break it.

• 7 months ago

VGA port on computer (see image below). 2. DVI Cable. Connect one end to: computer monitor. Connect other end to: ... DVI-D does not have the extra pins around the long pin, this is also a pure digital signal over DVI-I. 3

• 7 months ago

It will still work, but with slightly reduced safety. If the hot side of the line somehow shorts to the computer case, the ground will cause the circuit breaker on your house to trip. Without the ground, the case could become a shock hazard under such conditions.

Rather than saw off the ground pin, I'd get one of those adapters that Richard J recommended. It's not any safer unless an actual ground is connected, but if you later want to sell the computer, it won't have a messed-up cord.

Another option is to get a GFI or AFCI outlet, and change out your 2-pin outlet. Even without a real ground, that will give you some shock protection. And you can plug in your other 3-pin things to the outlet, too, without hacksawing all the ground pins.

• 7 months ago

NOT safe. get a proper adapter and/or supply a proper ground

• 7 months ago

You could but it won't be grounded. If you take the cover off of the outlet and check for a bare copper wire attached to a metal electrical box. If they are present, then either buy an adapter that has a grounding tab which is attached using the center screw of the wall plate or replace the receptacle with one that has the ground wire attached. That way once you plug your computer in it will be grounded.

Lv 7
    7 months ago

yes you can, no, it is not safe to do that

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.