Is windows 8.1 still good? (because I am deciding to upgrade from windows 7)?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Nah, stay with 7. I "upgraded" to 10, and I regret it. 8/8.1 is worse.

• 6 months ago

Windows 8 (and 8.1) is considered to be one of Microsoft's biggest failures. They attempted to make an OS that worked on "everything" - including phones, tablets, etc. What they ended up with was a hybrid of formats that did not work well on either. It is no longer sold (they got rid of it while they were still selling Wind 7) and so good like finding a copy of it. Also it was o bad that many companies never made drivers for their hardware for Windows 8. So it will not run on most older computers.

The hardware requires for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 are the same. So if your PC will run Windows 7, it will run Windows 10. There are drivers available. And if there are not, they did a good of job of getting it to work with 90% of hardware without drivers. It cost the same as a copy of Windows 8/8.1. It works better. It does not crash all the time like 8. It is more secure. And Microsoft is still selling and supporting it, which means you will get at least 5 to 10 years of life from it (support wise.) There is no support for win 8.

If you are thinking of upgrading (and you should), skip Win 8 and go to Win 10.

• 6 months ago

Honestly windows 8-8.1 should only be for mobile devices, in my opinion. I was so confused with 8 and everything seemed jank. Try to keep 7 if you can’t get 10 right now. 10, in my opinion, is a lot better than 8-8.1

• John
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Windows 8.1. I'm not familiar with that x-Windows version. When did x-Windows go beyond 4?

It must be a beta.

You should stick with x-Windows 2 or 3 much more stable.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

NO!!!!

Stay on 7, or go to 10

• Dick
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Win 8.0 and 8.1 were NEVER GOOD. Win 7 was a decent move up from XP. The move up to "8" from Win 7 always had it's issues. Win 10 is the best move you can make since it is more secure than "8" ever was. Win 10 has constantly been improved since it was launched. Right now Microsoft if performing 2 major updates a year on it, plus any needed security updates needed between those two updates. You are only delaying the inevitable update to Win 10 by messing around with Win 8.1. Give it up and move into the 21st Century with Win 10. That's JMHO !!!

• 6 months agoReport

Upgrading is for retards who don't know crap about security and think that upgrading is a magical solution for them intentionally downloading viruses and running them.

• 6 months ago

Windows 8.1 has a steep learning curve from 7 but it is a decent OS. Windows 10 is a combination of 7 and 8.1 so it may be better to go straight to 10 instead of 8.1.

There are a few irritations with 10 but the change is worth it in the long run. Just check all your settings and turn off what you don't need.

Not sure what people mean by Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 being a downgrade. They have their shortcomings but once you get used to each system and learn about what ever shortcomings affect you, then you'll enjoy them. They also have very useful features and upgrades.

If you're happy with Windows 7, then stay with it. You're not forced to upgrade it. Only if you have 7th generation and newer systems does it start to annoy you with upgrading.

• DW
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Windows 7 support ends in January, so you are forced to upgrade unless you're willing to use a vulnerable unsupported OS.

• Rico
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Better off going straight to windows 10, 1809 build

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Noooooo! Don't! Stay win 7.

• art
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

don't do it, stick with windows 7, windows 8.1 is thought of as a downgrade - in fact its nearly as bad as downgrading to windows 10

if you do change to windows 8.1 you will regret it

• 6 months agoReport

Windows 7 is NOT dying FUD spreader. Microsoft is trying to kill windows 7 but most driver issues can be fixed by simple ini editing (I've yet to come across a driver that is compatible with 10 but won't work on 7 after a few tweaks.)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.