What is the mimimum for food a day?

I found out my parents are sinking financially. So to help them budget, I did an audit of their financials.

Long story short, my dad makes about $1800-2300 a month.

He has about $1300 in guaranteed expenses, so we should assume he's going to have $600 or less available per month.

So he's allowed to spend less than $20 a day on food and other discretionary.

What's the best way to make the most out of $20 a day for food?

By the way, 20$ a day must includer him, his wife, and his 2 daughters

With that kind of income and at least one child to support, he ought to have a second job. That little money - I cannot wrap my head around it.

I've seen pasta sold for under $1 a pound, and one pound of pasta is more than enough for a meal, so $3 a day is enough. And rice is even cheaper. I'm not recommending a diet of nothing but rice and pasta. I'm just using them as examples to demonstrate the point. I've seen milk sold for under $2.50 a gallon, and a gallon of milk has about enough protein for 3-4 days. I'm not suggesting a diet of nothing but milk either; again, it's an example. But you could drink a pint of milk each day, which would give you half your protein for the day, and the gallon would last four days, so you'd be spending only $0.62 per day on milk. With the right combination of inexpensive foods, you can survive on under $5 a day.

• Judy

for how many people?