Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 year ago

Christians, what would you say if a atheist say reason he or she doesn't believe in GOD because there too much Suffering in the world?

That's when they say that the god they claim made everything didn't make suffering.

I would say to him that's no reason to be an atheist. Most suffering in our lives is caused by other people, not God.

God has to allow us to do good so he can bless and reward us. He can't be arbitrary about these things; he is as bound by eternal laws as we are by natural laws. He has to let us do good.

The problem is that the ability to do good is also the ability to do evil. God can't stop evil without also stopping good, and that would destroy his plan for our happiness and salvation. God has to let us do evil, if that is what we insist on doing. He can normally only step in when entire societies become irredeemably corrupt.

Besides, we would all be very sorry indeed if justice were immediate or proactive.

Also I would encourage the atheist to do what millions do every year -- to know God for himself through his own experiences with him. I'd tell him not to bother to move the goalposts, because it's more evidence than he has to shore up his atheism. I would also urge him to persist in his efforts until some day he feels God's love for him. Then he will know for himself that God couldn't cause all the suffering that is in life. He doesn't have some master plan that specifies everything we shall ever say, do, or think. He has to respect our agency -- up to a point, and we're rapidly approaching that point.

I say that this atheist say that you not say English. The time you're spending on Y/A would be better spent hitting the books (by which I don't mean the Bible).

• antonius

Just so you don't hit the books with a stick, Bulldog is advising you to read and study, not the bible, but real books for learning.

I would say that people who claim they choose not to believe in God don't know what it was that stripped belief away . You don't believe in nothing out of choice . It is like I used to believe in God then I didn't now it is just unimportant to me I do not care .

• antonius

I have never heard anyone say that they chose not to believe in God. Also many atheist have never believed in a god, church nor bible. I learned very early that it is all bovine droppings. I was never fooled.

God is a construct suffering is made by karma

• Chi girl

"Is is"?  No. 

There is a saying that God helps those who help them self. It is unfair to expect God to fix all your problems because you are on plane earth to learn and not all can have the same circumstances. For example it has been reported that illegals are entering the United States and they need go back to their own countries and fix the problems there instead of expecting the citizens of the United States to help them. This is not going to happen but if the United States needed help how would the Hispanics react to needs in the United States? It is not fair that there were cuts in food stamps because Mexico allowed them to cross the border and Mexico needs to be held accountable and there needs to be a meeting at the United Nations to address this issue. Perhaps some other countries could assist the United States in resolving this issue and Maybe England would like to help because in the past they have been upset that some illegal drugs entered their country via this source. It is not fair to blame God when people have not followed the rules that have been provided through spiritual instructions in God's Holy word the Bible and Jesus said: Treat others like you would like to be treated and the Hispanics are not following the word of God and are unfair and this needs to stop immediately. This is an example of suffering they have caused to many. I met a gal in the housing office area yesterday who said her food stamps had been cut because of what those illegals have done in my country. YOU CANNOT BLAME GOD FOR THE SELFISH ACTIONS OF PEOPLE. If people do not follow the rules of God then they will have problems.

That's not a reason - that's an excuse. It is also back-to-front logic. In order to arrive at a conclusion that God does not exist (the atheistic conclusion), you have to first accept that a God who created this universe has responsibility towards it, and to humans. Then they would have to explain how they once believed that God was required to prevent all suffering in this world.

Thereafter, they would then have to explain how the amount of suffering in this world proved that the idea of any God existing - a God who created this universe - is without evidence. This is the silliest point because this universe operates on the cosmic law of cause and effect. Why would they expect that to work in the universe, but not with regard to humanity on planet Earth? The Bible puts that law (with regard to humanity) as "sowing and reaping". "Whatever a man sows, that he will also reap" - and - "They have sown the wind, they will reap the whirlwind." And the Bible is full of examples of that, especially with the godless being a law unto themselves and inflicting misery on others.

So, I would politely suggest to such a person that they are being illogical and unreasonable and just making excuses for their stance.

• JimZ

Same thing I say about global warming. There is too much we don't know. It is important to acknowledge what you don't know. Then you can go about trying to learn. That is something that has been asked forever and those that think they know probably don't. I would say that there are all kinds of suffering. In my run this morning, I suffered a bit but that suffering helped me (hopefully) in the long run. If you are given everything in life and things are too easy, there would be very little sense of accomplishment. When a parent loses a child, it is hard to see the fairness in that. The world is tough. I don't think there is anything in the bible that suggests it isn't. It seems the easier we have it the less people are able to cope. We have it very easy in the modern world compared to our recent ancestors but we have become soft and spend a great deal of time complaining, it seems to me.

• Climate Realist
      1 year agoReport

<Same thing I say about global warming. There is too much we don't know. It is important to acknowledge what you don't know.>

What we don't know makes global warming dangerous. If I knew that the ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica were safe, I would be a lot less concerned about global warming.

AND HOW IS THAT GOD'S FAULT HE DIDN'T CAUSE IT PEOPLE DID

• 1 year agoReport

If your god exists and creates everything the way it is, he also.created sin and evil and suffering. Period.

You worship a dark entity.

So, if God does not exist according to you, and, of course, you are aware of the suffering in the world, I'm just sure you spend all of your time fighting human suffering. If you're not doing that, then either you are evil, or you do not exist.

• Patrick
      1 year agoReport

in logic - after you learn how to read. And then try to get over your nonsense and butt hurt.

The Christian answer to that is Matthew 5:45, Romans 11:33-36 and Dt. 29:29.

• 1 year agoReport

It always is...