Can a 4cyl, truck handle a camper, that fits inside not one that tows?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

Explicit Actual truck, explicit actual Camper to be fitted. Ford Rangers with 140 inch dual plug engines instead of Mazda 2 liter engines were the automatic transmission camper specials with 8 foot beds, tow packages . GMC badged Chevy Luv or P'up had 3 liter 4 cylinder instead of 2.5 with short stroke - came from G5 vans like post office started using and the standard 1/2 ton on C10 body , frame had them as well instead of 250 inch 6 cylinders for city delivery also sold for fleet use as lower cost - had 4.11 rear ends and the over drive top gear tranny. Toyota is another that had 'large' 4 cylinder 2.7 liters(?) instead of 2.2 - was the one used in Mini Winny camper .

• 2 years ago

Yes, just like it can carry cargo and passengers.

• 2 years ago

It isn't so much the horse power, but the torque which is dependent on the transmission and the differential. The original GP had a 4 cylinder engine with only 49 HP but it was used in a pinch to move a 105 long tom (30,000 lbs.), not far and not fast.

Then there is the issue of expectations and the actual camper. If you are content staying in the slow lane and having to down shift for grades it can do the job provided the camper is with in the weight restrictions for the suspension.

The biggest draw back is wind drag! This increases slowly to about 45 miles per hour. Some where in there the air takes on the properties of water and wind drag can be a major problem and so are cross winds.

Personally I would recommend a tent and regular camping set ups. A camper shell (one that is no higher then the cab.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

What pickup? What camper?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

It depends on the weight of the camper, but most 4 cylinder trucks don't have the weight carrying capacity and, don't forget, you also have to account for the weight of stuff you put in it.

• 2 years ago

You can, and plenty of people have in the past, but you'd probably be a lot happier using something with a bigger engine and a beefier transmission if you plan to use it as a camper fairly often.

You used to see a lot of Toyota Pickup-RVs around in the '80s and 90's. Many of them had 4 cylinder engines (Toyota's 22R 4-cyl to be specific). Those 22R engines were overbuilt so they were extremely durable and could comfortably handle the added stress of hauling around an RV in terms of wear and tear... but since they only made between 95 and 115hp they were also Slow with a capital 'S', even in '80's traffic.

The automatic transmission was often the weak point in those 4cyl Toyota RVs - the automatic versions tended to burn through transmissions (at least a lot more often than engines failed) when tasked with RV duty. The 5-speed manual equipped Toyota RVs didn't tend to have the same problem with transmissions wearing out for what it's worth.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Many years ago, I owned a Dodge Dakota pickup with a 4-cylinder engine and 5 speed manual trans. I bought a pop-up camper that fit in the bed of the little truck. While it seemed to be able to haul the load quite nicely, the increased wind resistance from the camper, even with the top folded down, just absolutely killed the gas mileage. While the truck with an empty bed could go almost 400 miles on a tank of gas, when it was carrying the camper, I had to stop to fill up twice to go the same distance.

• 2 years ago

Not all 4 cylinder engines are equal. Some can be quite powerful. I have one with 250 horsepower.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I have not yet seen a mid size pickup that can carry the weight of a slide in camper. Besides being too heavy, most slide in campers are too wide to fit between the fender wells.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Sure, as long as the additional weight is still within the manufacturer's load specifications.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.