Mr. Yaw asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 year ago

Do raccoons attack humans?

I saw one in a trash bin, near the college I used to go to. It was during the day and the raccoon didn t attack...it just peered its head out of the bin, and slowly put its head down.

However, when I was walking at night, I think that I saw a raccoon(or it could ve been a stray cat...I don t know) sprinting on the side of the lake. A couple of days later I saw one in the afternoon, which is weird because I live in the suburbs and that type of animal isn t common here. Your thoughts? Raccoons have families & lives as well, and I don t want to provoke them.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'll just mind my own business the next time I see one, and if it gets too extreme, I'll notify animal control.

They are not offensive animals, but like many, if they are cornered or threatened they will defend themselves.

Sure, some suburbs can have raccoons, but more a rural or wilderness animal.

They often find themselves scavenging around human dwellings digging in garbage cans and such for food.

Best you should do is just ignore them and let them do thir thing unless they are a pest.

Raccoons are also number one for rabies vector, so best not to get close enough for them to bite.

You spot one behaving abnormal, maybe drunk, you should notify animal control or wildlife.

You are outside the suburbs so it could be any number of critters. They will normally run away unless rabid.

Not unless you try to wrestle food away from them. They're very smart.

They can, if they feel cornered. OR if they're rabid and you approach them.

Raccoons are fierce fighters if they are attacked or provoked. Normally raccoon will stay out of sight and avoid conflict with humans. However they are also common carriers of rabies. That means if you see a raccoon that will not run away from you, then watch out. It may be in the final stage of rabies, and may bite you and transmit the deadly virus. If you are ever bitten then seek medical care immediately and tell the doctor you have been bitten by a raccoon. Stay away from them even if you may think they are cute and approachable. Never approach a raccoon in the wild, even if they act tame.

Racoons are fierce fighters if they need to fight to defend themselves or their food. They will not attack humans if not provoked. In fact I had wild raccoons who used to come to my screen door and slam it until I came out and gave them some Gravy Train dog food and turned the garden hose on a little. I came in one night and they had gotten in the kitchen and I just shooed them out the front door.

not usually they won't. i supposed if you cornered one and menaced it, then it might have to defend itself

now if the raccoon is *rabid,* it might very well attack you, even chase you. you should definitely stay the hell away from that raccoon.