I need guy help...?

His family and my family are close family friends, and towards the end of last summer, we admitted to each other that some feelings have been developing. We never made it past there because we both thought it'd make things awkward with our families but I can't figure out where we stand when we talk. We used... show more His family and my family are close family friends, and towards the end of last summer, we admitted to each other that some feelings have been developing. We never made it past there because we both thought it'd make things awkward with our families but I can't figure out where we stand when we talk. We used to talk about really random stuff but now its just really awkward questions and short answers because i can't get him to talk and i'm terrible with conversation.
I guess what I'm asking for is how do I push the conversation past an icebreaker to figure out where we stand and how he even feels towards me now?