I need guy help...?

His family and my family are close family friends, and towards the end of last summer, we admitted to each other that some feelings have been developing. We never made it past there because we both thought it'd make things awkward with our families but I can't figure out where we stand when we talk. We used to talk about really random stuff but now its just really awkward questions and short answers because i can't get him to talk and i'm terrible with conversation.

I guess what I'm asking for is how do I push the conversation past an icebreaker to figure out where we stand and how he even feels towards me now?

The key question is whether or not he's a strong guy.

Could you possibly be making dating choices mainly based upon whether someone likes you and you like them and feelings? Unfortunately this approach to dating, used by most people, usually leads to a broken heart.

May I suggest that the first question to ask yourself when considering whether or not to date someone is, “Is this person a strong person?” If they’re not, no matter how much you like them, how much they like you, or how “cute” or “hot” they are, - please don’t date them. A strong person has good character (honesty, integrity, trustworthiness), displays a positive attitude (cheerful, caring, friendly, forgiving, helpful, and respectful), fulfills their responsibilities (for handling people who are pains in a positive way, for always trying to make a good choice, for taking care of themselves, for serving others), gives their best effort, and demonstrates self-control (of their body, anger, mouth and money).

My suggestion is that you put in the effort necessary to become a strong person (if you’re not already), forget about this guy unless he’s a strong person, and eventually look for this type of guy (otherwise you’re setting yourself up for a broken heart). Unfortunately this type of man is difficult to find – but save yourself the heartache and don’t settle for less.

(Please remember that you eventually want a 50 or 60 year marriage - not a 5 or 10 year marriage.)

Hope this helps!

PS The best way to get to know a strong man without dating is to participate in the activities of a community service or a school organization.

PPS Be pleasant and if you have a chance, get him talking about himself by asking him an open ended (one that can't be answered yes or no) question like, “What do you like to do in your spare time?” Share something related to what he said and then ask him another question. If he’s a strong man he’ll eventually take the initiative and ask you out.

Source(s): True Love Lasts - written with a character emphasis for teens through young adults, Straight Talk About Teen Dating - written with a Christian emphasis for ages 13-19, Straight Talk About Dating - written with a Christian emphasis for ages 20 and up
    • Sally1 year agoReport

That was actually really helpful thank you so much

• Jerry

I think you just have to come out and ask bluntly if those feelings are still there. If they are, I'm sure your families would be OK with that.