Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 year ago

Should I accept my boyfriend apology for cheating on me?

My boyfriend recently cheated on me and he wants me to forgive him but I am not sure what to do. I’m really hurt and I just need some advice.

Accept his apology but move on, find a man who respects you

Forgive him as any human being can make a mistake...but treat him as an ex and as you say you feel too hurt then forget him and socialize with your friends for the time being to recover.

• kristy

I’d get revenge sex on him with one of his friends

Honestly find a dude who respects you. If you look at my avatar, I am the girl on the left, and I proudly third wheel this couple while being single. They care about me and support me.

Cheating on someone is never an excuse to get away with whether it is your boyfriend, friend or any other person. Forgiving is an act of kindness which you can do but you should stop seeing this person because 'Once a cheater, always a cheater' !!

I don't date men or sleep with them, but doubt I would accept a woman's apology for cheating on me.

Advice about what? You've been here long enough to see the destructive element of the human behaviour, or should I say the inhuman behaviour towards one another, especially after cheating! All that's left of the victim is a hollow existence, along with the crying and sleepless nights later after stupidly taking them back. Do yourself a favour and end this BS right now.

Should you? No

Will you? Most likely

Believe it or not, cheating is not as common a trait as day time TV and reality TV shows would have you believe.

I think what you're truly concerned about, given the way you've phrased your post, is "will he do it again"

The answer is yes, he will. Have you ever gotten drunk to the point where you started vomiting? What's the first thing you say? I WILL NEVER DRINK AGAIN!!!.....and you might mean it in that moment, but a few days later or the following Friday you're back with a glass in your hand because those feelings that caused you to drink the 1st time, WILL come back around, and again and again and again.

The same is true for people who have in that moment, justified cheating on their significant other. That feeling, that justification, that rationalization in which they decide to go forward with it, will come back again. Your boy may be sorry at the moment, and maybe even means it. But if it's whether he'll do it again, you know he will.

Because if he found a way to justify/rationalize it the 1st time, he'll find a way in that moment to justify/rationalize it a 2nd time.

I've counseled hundreds of people over the years. Some in your exact situation who went back to their cheating others, and some who decided not to and walked away. Do you know what every single one of the people who decided to go back to their cheaters regretted the most?

They regretted believing the other person could change but now the years they wasted by not walking away, the years they wasted by giving the person "one more chance", those years have gone and they're not getting them back.

You can forgive him but that does not mean you should take him back. The first time he does not answer your phone calls, goes out or has anytime that unaccounted for guess what you will be thinking? Can you deal with that? Are you willing to put yourself and him through that? Only you can decide.

• solo

You can forgive him AND stop seeing him.