BBC has reported big rise in petty Council fines.Is that something to praise,rather than condemn? Is that,glue that keep society together?

Mostly agree - though I think some councils implement more effectively than others. For example, on my local High Street, the council could, if it so chose [as Peterborough does] fine near enough every second person for offensive swearing - they fine no-one.

What helps keep society together is when people conduct themselves properly in public spaces by complying with the rules put in place by our elected councils for those public spaces.

Fines can be issued for breach of those rules. That seems fair enough. The councils who perceive themselves to have the biggest problems are the ones handing out most fines.

All such fines taken together are a minuscule fraction of the bigger problem facing local government: the reduction in funding from central government and the failure of far too many people to pay their council tax. Perhaps if everyone paid their council tax, the councils could deal with the public space disorder problem in other ways.

• stephen1 year agoReport

I support the Councils on this as anything to stop anti social behaviour has to be a good thing.

• stephen1 year agoReport

I fully, agree with you.

No good because innocent people will pay just because they fear worse if they don't and then sometimes fines are given for more serious things that should go to court.

.I an not find a source for this but if it is reported by the BBC there is a very good chance it is not true.

• Lord Bacon
      1 year agoReport

Here's a source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47982434 It took me seconds to find that link.