Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 year ago

Yahoo allows its member's to edit submitted answers. Why is there no option to edit a question?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Because every option here was eventually corrupted by the trolls who like to watch the world burn.

When you could edit the questions............trolls figured out that you could entirely change the question, so all the answers would take on a new meaning , clearly not intended.

I could have posted "Who likes to watch Game of Thrones? and got 20 "I do" answers.

Then if I wanted to be evil..........go back and change the question to "Who likes hardcore Anal sex? "

and that's why Yahoo took away the ability to edit QUESTIONS.......but gave you the ability to add updates. ---while leaving the Original question in place.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Because editing a question can change it's meaning, and back (years ago) when it was allowed, a user could change their question to mean the opposite of what was asked, so at that point all the answers they'd received appeared to mean the opposite of what the respondent meant. Additionally, a question could be edited to completely change it so that none of the answers were relevant at all (and thus all could be reported as non-answers). Some users would even post blatant violations, and then edit their question to make it acceptable, after receiving various answers (so it was a way to get around getting a post removed, sometimes).

To stop that abuse, Yahoo changed the system so that Updates can be added to questions if more info needs to be included or a mistake corrected. That way the original question remains. An answer is either pertinent to the question asked or not, so editing them isn't an issue.

• 1 year ago

If you could edit a question you could change its meaning which could make some answers violations. Quora allows minor changes but major changes must be approved by a moderator.

• Sharon
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

To edit a question go to the Edit menu, click on it and 'Add Details'.

Answers cannot be edited once a best answer has been chosen and they cannot be updated once they have received answers.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You can Add to the Question but you cant Delete what was Already Posted and this is to Prevent Misuse of the Question Format if Yahoo Allowed you to Delete what you Already Posted people could use it to get Around the Rules and Try and Break them and then Hide them Self's from It

As long as no Best Answer is Picked you can Add to it by clicking on the Blue Edit button then Click Add Details

• I agree with you. They should allow us to edit at least grammar and spelling errors. But now you can only edit a question if it has no answers. Once a question has one answer the delete option is deleted. If you are using a smartphone make sure it is in desktop mode so you can see all your options. The change was made to stop trolls from changing their question after some answered it. You can do updates by clicking on the edit tab and select update. You can do as many updates as you wish, but each update cannot be longer than 500 characters.

• 1 year ago

They don't have means to fix anything

• 1 year ago

You CAN delete questions if there are 0

Answers. You CAN add updates to questions if the question has answers.

At one time, You could edit questions, but many people intentionally edited their questions to turn good legitimate answers into non answers they would report. Now, when a question gets even one answer, the question and all the answers become Verizon Media property. You agreed to a legally binding contract with Verizon Oath, which became Verizon Media. Verizon owns what little is left of Yahoo Inc.

The abuse became over overwhelming in 2010. Yahoo changed the rules in 2013.

• 1 year ago

There is but sometimes its dumb and does not let you use it. I have no idea why but my guess would be a glitch.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

There is. There is literally and "edit" button under the question. The thing is, your edits appear as subsequent text rather than changing the original text.

Why is this? So that people can't ask one question to elicit a bunch of answers and then completely change the question to make it seem that all of those people gave that answer to an entirely different question.

Example: Who likes to answer questions?

I do.

-JSmith

I do.

-katrina

I do.

-JohnBoy

Then you go and edit the question to: "Who here picks their nose and eats the boogers?"

That's what allowing askers to actually change the original text would open up, and it would happen extremely often and become a source of huge problems.

• Zirp
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

both of those examples would be chat-violations. All questions about the answerer are

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.