How long does it take to get enough seniority to go to first shift?

I graduated from college 4 years ago.

I was laid off from my warehouse supervisor job 11 weeks ago. I had about 10 interviews, but they’re for jobs that I don’t want because they’re all second shift. My last job was first shift.

What I’m now finding out is that you can eventually go to first shift when you get seniority and the first shift warehouse supervisor quits. But, how long does that usually take? How long would I have to work second shift before I get “promoted” to first shift? I want to have a wife and kids. I want to have a life.

It depends on the employer and how they decide when to move someone to first shift, how many other employees are waiting, etc. At my job, all new hires start out on night shift, regardless of how much experience they had before this job. In the past, we’ve had a waiting list which is typically at least several months. Going forward, we’re requiring employees to “apply” for a day shift position and we’re considering things like seniority, attendance, attitude, work ethic, etc.

Other employers in my field hire people directly to day shift/first shift.

So I’d say there’s no one answer that applies across the board.

• Judy

depends on the company

Depends on a few things - first, when will the next first shift supervisor get promoted or leave. Second, how many other people are in front of you for the position. Third, are there any other people who might get the job before you (just because you are a second shift supervisor does not mean that you get the first shift supervisor - there may be someone else they will have in mind for that position).

Get the interview and get hired it ups your chances...remember, a bird in the hand...

You honestly think every business operates the same and there is no one ahead of you seniority wise? These things we strangers have no idea about doh doh head, ask your boss for your timeline.......Good grief!

There is not a set time limit. Each company does things differently

• nt

Ask your boss. It depends on if someone on the first shift leaves and how many people in front of you seniority wise.