How do I find the angle when building a ♿️wheelchair ramp?

I’m about to build a wheel chair ramp for a disabled friend. I don’t have an angle finder to find the angle of my cut for the 2 x 6’s. I only have my speed square. How can I find the angle I need to cut the ramp to connect it to the building using only my speed square?

carefully measure the length of the ramp and the height. reduce this to 5 1/2 inch height [width of a 2x6] and then reduce length by same proportion. you then mark the 2x6 to this size and cut. you don't need to know the angle at all.

this isn't fine cabinetry -- it's rough carpentry. perfect is the enemy of good.

by the way -- the per square inch loading of that ramp may be a lot higher than you think -- wheelchair may present less than two square inches surface under the entire load. That suggests you NEED a bit of steel decking as the surface and that it NEEDS to be underpinned with 2x6 running lengthwise on, at most, six inch centers.

Source(s): grampa

im a builder in uk ..i have built hundreds of them ..part of my work is for social services and environmental health ..they have certain rules ...no ramp can be steeper than 12-1 ..so every ramp i build can rise only 1" for every foot of length

• DIEGO.

this is a good question.