How do you know which philosophers are worth paying any attention to?

One guy says this, the other guy seems to contradict that, then Buddha says don't buy into this comment if it doesn't suit you -- he didn't say it that way, i forget the original way. So they all say these things and i can't help but think, some of them must have just been chancers as we call them in Ireland, someone who talks the talk, pulls the wool over your eyes...I currently like Gurdjieff and Alain De Botton, and find their work makes sense to me.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favourite answer

What Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) said was, consider all things and see if you find there is merit in them. Thus firmly putting the onus on you to decide. If a guy turns up at your door this morning and says, "Follow me. The world is ending at 5pm but I can save you", you have two choices. One is to trust in him and follow him and at 5pm you will have your answer. And whether or not there was merit in what he had to say, your life has been saved. Decide not to, and your life may be lost; or you will have discovered that actually the guy wasn't worth listening to and you are safe. And most often the truth lies somewhere in between. If, for you, Gurdjieff and Alain De Botton appear to be making sense to you, then it's right for you, unless and until you discover that it doesn't make that much sense after all.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

You should pay attention to the philosophy major who delivers your pizza.

• 1 year ago

You could think for your self: That's what I do.

• Hey_Irish
      Lv 4
      1 year agoReport

Well start learning from people, smart or not smart.

• 1 year ago

i like to think that "truth" and "reality" are an inseparable whole.

i like shakyamuni's "lotus sutra", then, the chinese philosophical developments in china through t'ien-t'ai with his "maka shikan", nichiren daishonin's gosho makes sense of the entirety of buddhism in the 13th century.

so, it follows the development of buddhism in india, its spread to china, and then after it enters and develops in japan.

the first writing of nichiren daishonin's to come to mind is "the opening of the eyes", where he clarifies many different teachings, compares them, nd reveals his answer as to their truth.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

I'll refresh your memory about what the Buddha said - he said find out for yourself and pay attention to the people who are wise.

"Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blamable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them."

"Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/soma/w...

• Everyone is worth paying attention to...especially the one's who don't claim to be philosophers. Remember...be an empty cup...

• 1 year ago

If you like what they say, So be it. Pay the man.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

There's you...and there's others.

You can know by noting the famous and well-respected...and you may know by co-relating with those whose words speak to you. Your consciousness is where you are, and deepening it with active reading of like minds is one option; developing new thoughts is another; in both cases, your living awareness is where you are, and the level you best function at, presently.

Being aware of your own preferred process of evaluation--if any pattern is detectable--may be helpful: do you tend to retain childhood likes, or perhaps you are more of an explorer, now. Do you prefer known, favorite cuisine, or trying unknown dishes, or a combination of the two polarities, etc.

As one Bard of Ireland, Thomas Moore, wrote, about his home, his wisdom may be applied to reading any given author as a constructor of a house of consciousness.

"That dear home, that saving ark,

Where love's true light at last I've found,

Cheering within when all grows dark,

And comfortless, and stormy around."

p.s. You probably note that Gurdjieff was a Son of God, who had the Christ Mind which was also in Saint Paul, Saint John, and others, regardless of their imperfections.

• 1 year ago

whichever ones rnake sense

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.