Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 year ago

Help me to understand. I am confused about this outcome?

My brother was attacked by his girlfriend . She struck him in the face and bloodied his eye.

My brother in return , punched her in the head.

The police were called . But there was little to no physical evidence that the girlfriend had been hit .

However it was very obvious that my brother was injured.

My brother went to jail as a result of hitting her in return . .. . . . . This is the point where I am confused .

Wouldn't she have been the aggressor in this case?

• Yeti

The police just need probable cause to make an arrest. Just because someone is arrested doesn't mean they're going to be charged criminally. And even if charged criminally it doesn't mean they're going to be prosecuted as things play out.

You didn't say who called the police. But if they showed up and both said there had been a physical confrontation, they're going to arrest someone to separate the two while they sort things out. But the police aren't judge and jury to decide what actually happened.

I'm expecting the girlfriend made the call and got the first story in, so when they had to arrest someone they arrested the boyfriend.

But you haven't indicated any criminal charges are occurring.

For what it's worth, guys when physically abused tend to downplay and not call the police. Women often err on the side of exaggeration (and emotional/psychological/verbal abuse) and know authorities are more likely to believe a male is the initiator when there's been anything physical.

• Maxi

You beleive what your brother says....... clearly he tells lies

So because he RETALIATED you think it's ok to assault her? That's not how the law works. I notice you say nothing of HER punishment, and also notice most think that means she got none. However both should have been arrested and charged.

Your brother FLAT OUT LIED about the physical evidence that was BLATANTLY OBVIOUS to the responding officers.

he said, she said ... cops listened to her as he's probably the larger.

btw, he needs to drop her like a hot rock ...

• Sal*UK

Maybe so - but a decent man doesn't turn on a woman and hit her. Restrain her yes, but hit her - no.

She offered sexual favors to the police!

Reality in the USA is that about 1/3 of domestic violence is committed by women as the aggressor (the one who "started it").

However, the Left has had laws in most of the USA written so the woman is assumed to be the victim, and even in the face of contradictory evidence. That means in any situation with "he said/she said" the man loses.

Your brother needs a defense attorney.

From what you say there was some physical evidence that he had hit her. Does he have a history of violence? There is something you are not telling us here.

problem is proving it. was there a witness? is that just what he is telling you? maybe he is lying and he hit first and she just defended herself