Should I tell him about this?

My friend mentioned in a conversation a couple days ago that process server was looking for him, so he thinks there’s a bill he missed. I told him they’ll eventually get him, and he said he knows. I wanted to help him out, so I looked up court records to see who might be after him so I can give him a heads-up. Turns out his ex-wife has reopened their divorce case. I don’t think he knows because he said he thought it was from an old bill or something. I didn’t tell him I was going to look it up. I assumed it would be a minor thing like he thought and would be no big deal to tell him. Now I’m afraid to tell him because what if he’s mad that I looked it up and found that? The possibility that he committed fraud in his divorce aside, should I warn him? Or should I just wait and let him find out? Gut reaction is to tell the truth and support my friend, but I’m afraid I’ll get thrown under the bus for trying to help. What should I do?

• Carmen

It’s a conscious decision on your part as the saying goes it’s what you don’t know that can hurt you or someone else true friends tell the truth not hide it regardless if he a true friend he will appreciate it. Pray on it🙏

I wouldn’t tell him I looked it up. He may know what the issue is but didn’t want to tell you. Try suggesting to him that he looks up court records to find out who’s after him

• Edna

You SHOULD have kept you nose out of his legal business.

Bill collectors don't send process servers to someone's home in an attempt to collect a bill..

If this involves an already-settled divorce case that his ex-wife has reopened for some reason (probably in regard to child support or custody), then when your friend tells you he thinks might be a bill collector, it is probably someone who has been appointed to serve him with formal notification that his ex-wife has filed a suit, and gives him the opportunity to obtain legal counsel of his own before he goes to Court. All the "process server" is going to do is hand him the paperwork. The "process server" doesn't care what (if anything) the guy does with the papers after he serves them.

The "serving of papers" is a legal step that is done in ALL lawsuits that are filed in Civil Court. I'm almost positive that your friend was "served" before his divorce ever came before the Court several years ago. Your friend has a pretty good idea of WHY a process server is now knocking on his door, and it doesn't involve fraud.

• Edna
      1 year agoReport

No -- don't tell him anything. If his crazy ex is coming after him, he'll find that out & WHY she's coming after him when he's served with the papers.

Girl, you should tell him, it is better he thanks you for saying it, than he gets in serious troubles for not having anyone to warn him

• Jael HL
      1 year agoReport

well i think you did right, bc you would feel guilty if something bad happened, and he shouldnt be mad bc you are his friend and at least you are trying to help him out

i would tell hirn

You know your friend better than any of us and so use you judgement call on the matter and just be there for him when it comes to light because |I know you're not going to tell him. Wise choice, lol.

I would warn him

Your friend is a grownup, presumably he can handle whatever comes along.

If he committed fraud during his divorce and you know about it, you should inform his ex-wife.

Otherwise, butt out.

• Sarah1 year agoReport

I don’t know that he did. I suppose anything is possible, but I have no knowledge if he did. The ex was also abusive and cheated on him, so she could be fabricating evidence to make it look like he did.