Would you display a family picture that could be controversial?

I will ask you to be respectful first of all. I have a mixed heritage. American from my dad's side, and native American from central America on my mother's side. My dad lived as a missionary in central America and that is how he met my mom.

Recently I went through a box that had old pictures belonging to dad, and found one of my family that was taken when he was a missionary and I was about five. In it are my grandma, mom, and grandfather, my father, me, my two little brothers, and an aunt and her baby. The reason I ask is that in the picture we are all in tribal dress, which for men would be a loincloth, for women body paint, a bare (topless) chest, a short embroidered cloth skirt. My brothers, the baby and me are nude.

I think the picture is unique, beautiful and shows my ancestry, and would like to frame it and display it at home. I just don't know how visitors would take it or if they would be uncomfortable or upset. What are your thoughts?

Its your home do as you please

Lot of nude pictures of babies, some on display in living rooms. some pictures of nude 'babes' on bear skin rugs in bedrooms . Picture of relatives in old clothes on walls common in some cultures, not a problem for most people- unless relative is in full KKK robes with hood back or in confederate uniform but if family is Demoncrap party then it is a 'oh well, was the times' , go to next picture. Waffen SS uniform 5th Wiking division for grandfather? moderately acceptable. 3rd SS from totenlager? not so good if Rabbi visits.

Of course it's the right thing to display anything you like in the privacy of your own home. You don't have to consider the feelings of others who, if they like you, will accept the things you decide to put on your own walls. And if they don't, I assume your home has a door to walk through.

Any visitor who'd be upset isn't worth inviting into your home.

I would certainly display it. It showed a reality of the time. How can we understand the present if we know nothing about the past?

• Lita

My thoughts are your house, your decisions when it comes to displaying things. i can appreciate that you don't want to make visitors to be uncomfortable in your home or offended but I think you should do what you feel is right for you.

If I had such a picture I would indeed frame it and display it.

i would take it down if sorneone you knew was corning that rnight not want to see it

• Bryan

I think its your house and you should be able to decorate as you like. I don't see a problem with you displaying that photo as it reflects part of your history. Its good to be proud of your roots.

Personally, I might very well display it in the common areas of my house, but if it bothers you that it might offend some visitors you could also display it some where more private like a bedroom.

• drip

Display in a more private area of your home, such as the bedroom.

Assuming you are not a troll, just hide the picture when visitors come.

PS: How did your dad do in his "missionary position?"