Whats better, traditional values or modern values?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

I am not aware of any modern "values," only a lack of values in some people.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Me
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

The best values are when you treat others like you wish to be treated.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Values regarding what, exactly? Specific things have different answers.

Question too vague. FAIL

• Blearg
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

The best values are those that fit and serve a society effectively. There are millions of sets of "traditional values" from around the world, and some of them have been more effective than others. What I think we need now are values that are flexible, given that most of us (at least those of us able to read this question) are in places undergoing rapid changes in technology and the patterns life takes for individuals within our communities. Partly I think that means leaning into some modern concepts but also recognising that the tried and true solutions of the past may still be very useful in the present. I think the best solution is a mosaic that really fits the problems at hand. We have a bit too many people relying on one size fits all strategies that are easy to pretend will work on a large scale but are cumbersome and inneffective in practice. This goes for traditional values as well as modern ones.

• ...Show all comments
    • peter m
      Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

(& future planned) fit of problems-at-hand is a well placed (flexible & critical) strategy for better &
      better solutions, Environmental philosophy included.
      Thumbs up.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

To my mind the only "modern" value is that there exist no universal values; that is values are fluid and arbitrarily changeable, with no solid base. This is usually called "moral relativism". Yes, I realize that any particular person does not quite buy into this model - but it is always an accepted harbor if one becomes disgruntled by their plight.

• ...Show all comments
    • Plogsties
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

As I said most people don't buy into this notion of "relativism" - but it sure is used quite often to assuage guilt for a choice that us clearly wrong.

• 1 year ago

Too subjective to answer. Define each and try again.

• P
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

It used to be safe to walk the streets, we had roads which weren't full of potholes, and if there was an emergency the services would be there in minutes.

The "modern" values which judge it's ok to under resource everything, it's ok to exploit teachers and NHS workers, to turn a blind eye to the abuse they suffer, to consistently make empty promises, lie and deceive aren't an improvement

• 1 year ago

moderni

• 1 year ago

Modern.

• Chiara
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

both are needed to keep a society going.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.