Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 year ago

Is a man less of a man if he doesn't work with his hands?

I was raised in a family where a man is considered less if he doesn't work with his hands, or uses gloves while landscaping or carpenting.

• GB

Most people who work in clerical jobs, use their hands to use a keyboard, or to write or hold a phone. If a man is using his feet to do these, because he has no hands or arms he is not less of a man. As for using gloves, it depends on safety, and what he feels comfortable with.

no, of course not.

• Elana

I guess I always thought the paramount of maleness was all about courage, reliability and honor. None of these things are exclusively male and none of them involve power tools.

• Dr. D

The only reason why working with your hands is associated with manhood in your family is because that is what they did.

I've known families that expected their sons to become men by joining the military services. Some families measure manhood by the income they earn, or by the college degrees they earn.

Some men think you're less a man if you don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, or if you're still a virgin. Some men think you're less a man if you go to church. Some men think you need to own a gun to be a real man.

Truth is there are many silly measures of a person's manhood. The best measure of a person's manhood is found in his character and not in his hands.

I was raised in a family where a man is considered less if he doesn't have a degree and and a well paid white collar job. So I guess we just come from different walks of life.

No.

"He had no arms or legs. He couldn't hear, see, or speak. This is how he led a nation." Michael Scott's made-up movie tagline. Now THAT would be a MAN!!!!!

no way. those jobs suck.nothing like being sore everyday, i worked them, it feels so great to be strong and to know you cleanly knock someone out with no effort, i gained 10 pounds from my phsyical job 5 pounds in fat and pounds in muscle, it feels good but sucks like i mentioned. but ill be getting my A+ Certification in I.T really soon so i dont have to work this bogus crap anymore. Taking my degree to Hawaii!

Shout out too Hawaii! ill post pictures as soon i get there ill be living on the big island. surprisingly rent isnt that match

ITS a reggae night do that math and tell me what that equals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPDy_dO5mQY

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52UQG0tfJk

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V8uEcBqBGY

Youtube thumbnail

No. Very old fashioned outlook

• Real men do office work indoors. End of story.