Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 year ago

How can I believe the bible if I don't understand it? And how can I understand the bible, if I don't believe it?

A Jehovah's Witness said "You cannot understand God's word, without the spirit of Jesus' God and Father. (Eph 1:17)". Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190...

Isn't this a Catch-22? Wasn't the bible was written for everyone, including atheists like myself? Or was it written just for Christians? Or was it written exclusively for a specific Christian sect, like Jehovah's Witnesses? If so, does that mean it's completely useless to all other Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Jews, etc? And how do we reliably determine which Christians have this "spirit of Jesus' God and Father"? And how do we know if an atheist suddenly gets this "spirit"? Would it even be possible?

I thought the Bible was sharper than a double edged sword and so on... (Hebrews 4:12). Or not... Maybe I'm just doomed to remain an atheist... not that it's a bad thing.

I'm just trying to understand why Christians say the things they say, and how they justify their understanding of scripture as the correct one. Curiosity has overcome me on this one.

61 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

You can start by studying ancient near east history and the original languages.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

The Bible cannot be understood by the natural mind of man. So no, I can honestly tell you the Bible was NOT written to atheists and unbelievers etc.

It's God's Word to those who receive Him and obey its truths.

If you cannot understand God's Word it is because you have never been born again as Jesus commanded (John 3: 3-5).

Once you are born again and you have the Holy Spirit abiding in you, He will lead and guide you into all truth.

And you certainly cannot understand the Bible if you don't believe it. You must believe it and God by faith to begin with, in other words, humble yourself and tell the Lord that you don't understand salvation and faith and His Word but you genuinely want to - that's if you do genuinely want to.

If all of the above is just a great big excuse - well you won't get anywhere then will you because God will see right through you motive whether we do or not.

• 1 year ago

It is only a catch 22, as you put it, for those who refuse repentance.

Repentance leads to truth, understanding and faith.

Repentance precedes faith. The command is not to faith but to repentance.

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: 

Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. 

We all know, from moral awareness alone, that refusal of repentance rightly brings condemnation and judgement.

So none can have any excuse.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

First thing you need to acknowledge is that GOD did not write the Bible, men did that felt God in-speared them to do so. The Old Testament's GOD is one of anger, and do as I saw; the GOD of the new testament is one of Love and forgiveness. Now the Witness of Jehovah did a partial rewrite of the BIBLE to fit them. Calvin and King James did much the same thing as did Luther. All the BIBLE is a guide post toward GOD. Some of it is correct some may be not so correct. You have to judge for yourself what is and is not true to fallow.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Al
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

The reason we have trouble understanding the Bible is very simple, Religion is an organization just like a Corporation, The root word of Corporation is CORPSE, A Dead Body made up of other parts to unify into one body or image of a body...all Government follows this as well...So the Concept from the Religious perspective is that you are a body which is dead according to the Law Of Sin (Mosaic) which is the first law, But Jesus Gospel foretold of the Second Law which is the Spirit, not the body, The Temple of God is not made with Human Hands which you are the Temple of God....Jesus words....let that sink in..... Luke 17:21 The Kingdom of God comes not by Observation, for behold, The kingdom of God is Within You! now do you see what Religion teaches? it put's God outside of your mind into a place beyond reach unless you profess to follow the Laws of Sin and all judgements, but Jesus showed that the Grave hath no Victory over you! Because you are Eternal, that means forever, that also means Salvation has always been yours since God brought everything into existence, but humans have been to occupied with what the Body Idolizes which delivers death to the body, Salvation doesn't come through the death of a body, it comes through the redemption of your spirit over your mind where Christ has risen within you and removed the errors of the flesh (Ego).

The Bible is simply nothing but Metaphors of the mind....learn the symbology, you learn the message, A good place to start is " A Course In Miracles ".

Your not required to believe anything.....God already provided his Faith within you.

• 1 year ago

It could be because you have a closed mind to what the Bible is saying. God's word tells us “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight.”—2 Timothy 3:16. Don't just listen to what other people think or believe do like the first-century Christians who lived in Beroea, in what is now northern Greece? They did not just accept what others told them. Rather, they had a reputation for “carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.” (Acts 17:11)

There are two reasons why you can have confidence that the Bible is the inspired Word of God.

The Bible is historically accurate. Over the years, skeptics have challenged—and continue to challenge—the Bible’s accuracy regarding the names of people and places it mentions. Time and again, though, evidence has proved the skepticism to be unfounded and the Bible record to be trustworthy.

Example: Critics questioned the existence of Pontius Pilate, the Roman governor who ordered Jesus’ death. (Matthew 27:1, 22-24) But in 1961 a stone bearing Pilate’s name and rank was discovered near the city of Caesarea in Israel.

Reason number two: The practical wisdom contained in the Bible benefits people of all backgrounds. Long before the discovery of microorganisms and their role in spreading disease, the Bible recommended hygienic practices that are still relevant today. (Leviticus 11:32-40; Deuteronomy 23:12, 13) Family members who apply the Bible’s advice about how to treat one another are happier. (Ephesians 5:28–6:4) A person who lives by Bible principles may become a more conscientious employee or a more reasonable employer. (Ephesians 4:28; 6:5-9) Applying Bible principles is beneficial for emotional health as well. (Proverbs 14:30; Ephesians 4:31, 32; Colossians 3:8-10) Such practical advice is what we would expect from our Creator.

The wisdom found in the Bible can make even an inexperienced person wise. (Psalm 19:7) Once we gain confidence in the Bible, it can help us as no other book can in taking the next step toward having stronger faith.

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Thanks for the reference.

Is God's word like a two edged sword?

Yes!

(Hebrews 4:12) “12 For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.”

When you read the Bible, what are the intentions of your heart?

Do you desire to know God?

Are you humble and are you willing to change your beliefs and way of living?

Paul in Hebrews also wrote:

(Hebrews 11:6) “6 Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.”

Do you read God's word with a desire to earnestly seeking him?

How do you start your Bible reading?

(Ephesians 1:17) “17 [pray to] the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the accurate knowledge of him.”

Trinitarians will tell you to pray to Jesus, yet Paul, a non-trinitarian, tells us to pray to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus.

(Ephesians 1:3) “3 Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for he has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in union with Christ,”

What does this reveal about a trinitarian's heart?

Is it a 'Catch 22'? - Only if you let it.

To help you build faith in God's Word check out

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/ab...

If you have never eaten your favorite dish, how do you know it is your favorite dish? (Your question reworded)

God's Word tells us:

(Psalm 34:8) “8 Taste and see that Jehovah is good; Happy is the man who takes refuge in him.”

(Jeremiah 29:13, 14) “13 “‘You will seek me and find me, for you will search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will let you find me,’ declares Jehovah. . . .”

Anyone with a humble heart can find Jehovah.

(Proverbs 13:10) “10 Presumptuousness leads only to strife, But wisdom belongs to those who seek advice.”

(Proverbs 2:1-6) “2 My son, if you accept my sayings And treasure up my commandments,  2 By making your ear attentive to wisdom And inclining your heart to discernment;  3 Moreover, if you call out for understanding And raise your voice for discernment;  4 If you keep seeking for it as for silver, And you keep searching for it as for hidden treasures;  5 Then you will understand the fear of Jehovah, And you will find the knowledge of God.  6 For Jehovah himself gives wisdom; From his mouth come knowledge and discernment.”

Which Bible should you use? The most accurate translation available today. Interestingly the NWT has been found to be that Bible.

How accurate is the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures:

Old Testament:

In fact, the New World Translation is a scholarly work. In 1989, Professor Benjamin Kedar of Israel said:

"In my linguistic research in connection with the Hebrew Bible and translation, I often refer to the English edition as what is known as the New World Translation. In doing so, I find my feeling repeatedly confirmed that this kind of work reflects an honest endeavor to achieve an understanding of the text that is as accurate as possible. Giving evidence of a broad command of the original language, it renders the original words into a second language understandably without deviating unnecessarily from the specific structure of the Hebrew....Every statement of language allows for a certain latitude in interpreting or translating. So the linguistic solution in any given case may be open to debate. But I have never discovered in the New World Translation any biased intent to read something into the text that it does not contain."

New Testament:

While critical of some of its translation choices, BeDuhn called the New World Translation a “remarkably good” translation, “better by far” and “consistently better” than some of the others considered. Overall, concluded BeDuhn, the New World Translation “is one of the most accurate English translations of the New Testament currently available” and “the most accurate of the translations compared.”—Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament.

“Here at last is a comprehensive comparison of nine major translations of the Bible:

King James Version, New American Standard Bible, New International Version, New Revised Standard Version, New American Bible, Amplified Bible, Today's English Version (Good News Bible), Living Bible, and the New World Translation.

The book provides a general introduction to the history and methods of Bible translation, and gives background on each of these versions. Then it compares them on key passages of the New Testament to determine their accuracy and identify their bias. Passages looked at include:

John 1:1; John 8:58; Philippians 2:5-11; Colossians 1:15-20; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 1:8;

2 Peter 1:1

Jason BeDuhn

Associate Professor of Religious Studies, and Chair

Department of Humanities, Arts, and Religion

Northern Arizona University

(Please note that according to Dr. Jason BeDuhn, of the Bible compared, only the NWT translated John 1:1 correctly)

• 1 year ago

If you want to understand the Bible then make sure you pick up a translation that is not biased (as the New World Translation is biased).

I recommend a Study Bible, such as the New International Version, the New Living Translation or the English Standard Version. They contain explanatory notes and commentaries. Their translators are accredited Bible scholars (unlike the anonymous people behind the New World Translation). Then read it.

The Spirit of wisdom and revelation comes through the Holy Spirit to all who genuinely seek.

• 1 year ago

maybe you need to read

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I understand it, and I still do not believe it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.