Emily asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

How do I convince my mother to let me put a lock on my bedroom door?

I m a 12 year old girl, and no matter how much I plead and reason with my mother, she won t allow a lock on my door. There is a big issue where her and my 24yo brother will just open the door/enter without permission, or even without knocking. I m not even sure if at my age I SHOULD have a lock, but I ve been reading a few articles, and the general consensus is that around about my age, a simple lock should be permitted.

27 Answers

Relevance
  • Vortex
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Tell your mom you need privacey as you need to get dressed, undressed, pleasure yourself and you don't need an audience.

• 8 months ago

Have you tried explaining that to your mom that your brother keeps coming into your room? that would annoy me too. Try explaining that to her and she might talk to your brother and tell him to knock and wait for you to answer because it's your room and he shouldn't just be barging in.

• 8 months ago

I had the same problem as you I begged my parents for a lock on my bedroom door, in the end they agreed and put a deadbolt lock on my door at first it was a great idea I could keep my noisy sister and parents out, when I went to school I locked my bedroom door with the key knowing no one could enter my room.

the problem came when I got grounded instead of just being grounded to the house my parents took the key from my bedroom door and LOCKED ME IN so be warned a lock on you door my NOT be a good idea

• Jane
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I agree that you need to have your privacy respected, most people would knock and wait before barging into someone's bedroom so I don't get why they can't just do that. You shouldn't need to have a lock, if this basic respect was in place.

In your position, if you can't get them to follow a basic polite request, I would get a wedge for the door, or wedge a chair under the door handle.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • car253
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

A lock on your door is an extremely bad idea, especially for a young girl. Crimes get committed behind locked doors. Just make it clear they have to KNOCK before they come in.

• 8 months ago

(Emily here!)

I brought it up again with her, she said we would revisit it when I was 14, I suggested I could just get one NOW, and see how it goes, but she flipped out and started screaming that it was "A DEFINITE ******* NO!" And threatened to take my phone, then threatened to "BELT ME ONE!" (Hit me)

• Star_of_Darkness
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

You need a belt to the backside since you are spoiled and think you need a locked door

• 8 months ago

-I had a deadbolt on my bedroom door to keep my mother out when I wasn't home. My father put it on for me. While you are home I agree that a wedge under the door should be sufficient.

• 8 months ago

Just keep asking for one. At least 1-2 times per week. Complain about the lack of privacy, and keep at it. Eventually they will give in. I promise.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

rnaybe you can bribe her into it

• 8 months ago

talk to your mom, she will emphasize with you request for privacy

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.