Do part time jobs let you decide the days and time of a work you want to work?

• Judith

It depends upon the company but probably most do NOT let you pick the days and times you work. Offices are probably more flexible than retail.

Some will allow you to pick the days you want to work but not the # of hours each day. My sister works part-time but must work every day and they determine the hours she works. I worked with a lot of part-timers who worked 3 or 4 days a week and they were able to pick the days BUT, once picked, they had to stick with it. They also had to work a certain # of hours per day but my employer was flexible - they didn't care what the hours were just as long as they were worked but that only applied to employees who didn't deal with the public.

I have a friend who job shares. She must work on Mondays and Tuesdays and the other person works Wed thru Friday. She also must work 8 to 5.

Lots of places tell their employees when they will work and how many hours; e.g. fast food restaurants. You are there at THEIR convenience not yours.

• Sometimes. But if you're not available enough, you likely won't get or won't keep the job.

most part time jobs don't let you decide

sometimes it depends on the company

No. Employers schedule staff when they need them. You can tell them your availability. E.g. student: "I'm only available after 3 pm weekdays, Saturday & Sunday."

Some might give you some say, but generally not unless you are in say school.

No. Its a part time job, because they need someone at a specific time, and they dont have anybody. And so thats why its a part time job. And now you just wanna come in whenever you want? Not sure if thats gonna fly with them. It probably wouldnt fly with me either, as I have work that needs to get done at my company.

Some do, some don't. My daughter works as a caregiver in an assisted living facility, and she tells them what days and times she's available to work. This happens a lot at places like that, where they hire lots of college students and need to cover shifts 24/7/365.

• Maxi

No, 99% of employers will expect you to work when they need you, the days/times they need you and at short notice to cover anyone who has not turned up/sick

No. That way they can call you in at midnight without notice and if you complain they’ll say you can’t complain because you “don’t work very often.”